Grrrr auto mechanic shops!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Took wife's car to get tires rotated and aligned. Can't do an alignment bad right side tie rod. Want $350.00 to replace. I laughed under my breath. I replaced the tie rod myself for $46.95.

Took the car back up there to get alignment. Cant align because bad right rear trailing rod and both tie rods bad. Want $895.00 to replace and align. I just replaced the right tie rod - WTF :(

Never will I go there again!

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Make sure you let people in your town know about the 2 shops... you want that honest one to get all the business!
I did that in the small town I lived in. After getting done over by the main garage in town, I towed my car out of there and took her to the backyard mechanic, who I mentioned earlier in the thread. He did a fantastic job in a very short time at about 1/3 of the price the garage charged me. I made a point of telling EVERYONE all about it. The garage owner spoke to my MIL a few weeks later and told her I'm "poison" :gig

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
After college, I needed to buy a new vehicle. I needed a full size truck. This was back in the 90's and all the salesmen would show me was the mid-size trucks - Ford Ranger, Chevy S10. "ya, its a nice truck. But not what I want. Show me a 1/2 ton." One salesman actually tried to argue with me that the small truck is what i needed so "You can park in the parking stall at the store." GRRR! I needed to be able to tow and haul with it, I knew what I wanted. Besides, the base model full-size 4x4 were cheaper than the 4x4 mid-size. One salesman started to head to the Ranger section - after walking up to me as I was checking out the F150 trucks. I stopped him once and asked to see a full-size. When he headed to the mini's again, I walked to my car and drove away. The salesman that actually listened to me, sold me a vehicle - and 10 years later sold me another one, lol.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
A good, honest mechanic is worth his weight in gold. Make sure you help him out by giving reviews; in print and word of mouth.

Amen to that!!! God has blessed me with an honest mechanic and He also gave me one at the last place I lived. Both get a lot of appreciation from us. Not long ago I bought pizza and drinks for his whole shop...anonymously, of course, with a card telling him how much I thank God for him. I took the car in yesterday and saw that card up on his bulletin board, so I know such things mean a lot to the crusty ol' mechanics.

I still keep in touch with my former mechanic and give him hugs when we visit my old town. He's a wonderful person and the community would suffer a great loss if he were not there.

I think honesty, integrity and excellence should always be rewarded as it's so very rare in the world today.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One thing that I've noticed as I work my way through the ageing process:

Age 18 - 25: Going to the hardware store: employees would freely offer assistance. I never had to hunt down an employee to get waited on.

25 - 50: Especially when accompanied by young children: Hardware store employees would run in the opposite direction when they saw me coming. It was infuriating trying to get waited on. I often took my cute daughter with me, and would send her to find an employee. She'd go around the corner, and return with one hot on her heels in less than 2 minutes!

50+: Evidently, HS employees take pity on little old women. Once again, I am able to get assistance in a HW store without having to don running shoes and chase them down.

But, you're right: the way women are taken advantage of is totally infuriating, especially when it comes to auto repair or purchase. Once, hubby and I were looking for a car for me. He was along just to see that I didn't get shafted. Invariably, the salesman would direct all of his attention to hubby, even after hubby made it clear that this would be MY car, I would be paying for it, and I would be the one choosing it, and driving it. One particularly infuriating guy directed his entire pitch to hubby, even after being redirected to speak to me, until: Finally, he turned to me and pointed out what he thought would clinch the sale with me: "Look at this! This model has a lighted vanity mirror!" He smugly declared as he pulled down the visor over the RIDER seat!!!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I see a pregnant woman, or one who is dealing with baby/toddlers, or someone on crutches, I will often leave my seat at a restaurant or stop what I'm doing to go open the door for them. You are right, chivalry IS dead. But, I don't think gender excuses any of us from extending common courtesy and kindness to the persons who can use a little help.