Grrrr auto mechanic shops!

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sounds like they are trying to screw you over. I took my car in for new tires once. They told me I had to replace 3 of the 4 rims because they were bent. $1500 by the time I got new rims and tires. Took it somewhere else for second opinion. Said rims were fine. Not bent at all. For the life of me I couldnt figure out how I could of bent rims so bad they were beyond use. Never took the car back to the other shop.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like they are trying to screw you over. I took my car in for new tires once. They told me I had to replace 3 of the 4 rims because they were bent. $1500 by the time I got new rims and tires. Took it somewhere else for second opinion. Said rims were fine. Not bent at all. For the life of me I couldnt figure out how I could of bent rims so bad they were beyond use. Never took the car back to the other shop.

You think? I just checked both tie rods & rear trailing rod. They are tight as can be.

Makes me mad they thought I was a push over. Not only me, but how many others?

I just gave them a nice 1 review. I would have gave them a negative 10 but it only allowed for 1 ~ 5.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Makes you wish they made it mandatory for men and women to take shop class in school. You learned to use power tools properly and then the next semester you worked on cars. At least you knew enough not to be taken advantage of when it came to car repairs.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bay, you have white hair. I have some gray & wrinkles...they say "old & female" -- double the work!! Triple the charge!! :D

I go to a couple small shops who are honest & fair. Then there are some things they may not have a way to do :idunno .
I get referral from them, usually a good one.

I used to be part owner in a large auto repair & paint--body shop. Stepson still owns, I sold out. Honest with me but 50 miles away. Rarely use. :cool:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DH had a check engine light come on in his Charger. He made an appointment at the dealer and they told him it was a $119 charge for each item requested - just to look at the vehicle. But, the dealer says, the charge is credited to the final bill if you have it fixed there. For some odd reason, when Mr. Tight-wad bought the car, he bought the extended life-time warranty for it. As it turned out, it was a code on the oil pump and covered by the new car warranty - so no charge. But, it would have cost us only a $200 deductable to have it fixed under the lifetime warranty.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are blessed with a great mechanic shop. Small, family, honest and wonderful people. Often we pick up our vehicles and they don't have the ticket written up yet. We go back several days later to pay them.

canesisters

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I dropped my car off for an alignment once. Was told the next day when I went to pick it up that they couldn't do it because my tires were so bad (because of the bad alignment...). So I took the car to get new tires, brought it back and left it another day. Picked it up the next afternoon and the shake was WORSE than before. Did a U-turn and went right back. They told me that they were done for the day and that I'd have to bring it back AGAIN the next day. I went back to the tire place, they took all 4 tires off and checked them over - found a broken belt on one. Replaced it (for free of course) and off I went driving smooth as can be.
... my question - that the garage never DID answer to my satisfaction - was, if the unevenly worn tires prevented a proper alignment.. .WHY didn't the one with the broken belt????
I've never been back to that garage. I found a little hole-in-the-wall place that does a good job, doesn't suggest anything that I didn't ask for and (seems to) charge fair prices.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was out in a snowy and icy parking lot changing a tire when I was 8 months pregnant. Think any one thought to offer assistance? Nope.

I'll not do business with TSC. Their feed was ALWAYS OLD. Or they didn't have the formulation I wanted. Always trying to up-sell.