Grrrr auto mechanic shops!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
One thing that I've noticed as I work my way through the ageing process:

Age 18 - 25: Going to the hardware store: employees would freely offer assistance. I never had to hunt down an employee to get waited on.

25 - 50: Especially when accompanied by young children: Hardware store employees would run in the opposite direction when they saw me coming. It was infuriating trying to get waited on. I often took my cute daughter with me, and would send her to find an employee. She'd go around the corner, and return with one hot on her heels in less than 2 minutes!

50+: Evidently, HS employees take pity on little old women. Once again, I am able to get assistance in a HW store without having to don running shoes and chase them down.

LG, they STILL run like scalded dogs when they see me coming and I'm over 50. And you are right...when I was young, they flocked to help me. Now that I'm old I have to literally chase them down, saying "Sir? Sir? Excuse me, Sir?" until they can no longer avoid me, heave a big sigh and finally turn around and ask to help. :rolleyes:

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Took wife's car to get tires rotated and aligned. Can't do an alignment bad right side tie rod. Want $350.00 to replace. I laughed under my breath. I replaced the tie rod myself for $46.95.

Took the car back up there to get alignment. Cant align because bad right rear trailing rod and both tie rods bad. Want $895.00 to replace and align. I just replace the right tie rod - WTF :(

Never will I go there again!

Oh puhleeze. They must really be hurting for that post Christmas generated revenue. That's an insult to your intelligence!

I had to deal with that crap treatment when I lived in a college town out west. Just because I am female, they tried to milk me for money I had and didn't have.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Being female makes it especially hard to find someone who doesnt try to take advantage of you. But it also is bad when a man gets screwed over, especially when its due to cars.
I took my Mazda to Meinke for brakes. They were advertising a special. They tried to tell me the back drums needed replaced, cant remember exactly what they said. And also a bunch other stuff needed done. Said let me think about it. Gave me estmates. I left.
Took it to mechanic took my other car to about the rims. Said nothing wrong with drums. Fixed it for $200. Meinke wanted over $500.
Never going to Meinke ever again. I take my vehicles to this mechanic now because so far, hes been fair and honest, as far as I know. Time will tell.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My single friend has had some serious issues with mechanics. Unfortunately for them, she knows what she's talking about and has gotten plenty of free service by the end.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Good grief. It does make you wonder (and worry!) how many people do they screw over for trusting them?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
All I wanted was tire rotation and alignment. Alignment takes a special machine that us home mechanics don't have. Legitimately yes the tie rod that they first said was bad, was bad. I appreciated that but the price quoted for replacement was way to much. Then I went back two days later (after replacing the tie rod) and they tell more stuff needs replacing (including the new tie rod I just replaced). And they quote me a you look pretty stupid price. Makes me wonder if they even put it on the alignment machine at all or even looked at it for that matter. Anyways I have an appointment with another shop tomorrow for an alignment. I guess we'll see what they say.