Grrrrr Freeze tonight! (baby chick pic's - page 2)

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I'm mad! Its going to go down to the 20's tonight, very very cold with lots of high wind! :barnie

My garden is going full steam ahead, I have tomatoes, peas, carrots, onions, bok choy, radishes ... :barnie

Not to mention my Apple trees! :he

I'm going to try make little frames out of chicken wire, with plastic between two sheets of the wire, and mold into shape to cover the veggies, and pin them down and with any luck they wont' end up in Kansas! :rant

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yeah, same here - we are supposed to get 2-4 inches of snow. I'm going to put pastic bags over the ends of the apple tree branches to keep the blossoms from freezing off - it is still a small apple tree so I can do it. Bushel baskets over the blueberries, and feed bags over the cherry trees (aso still small).

I figure by the time I spend most of the day spreading hay over the strawberries, peas, onions, etc and most of tomorrow cleaning it up ( it is supposed to be in the 50's tomorrow afternoon), I'll won't have anything time to do anything else!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:( Snow! Oh thats even worse than we have it... now you made me feel guilty for whining!

OK guilt gone! :gig

My apple tree's are way too big to cover, they must be 12 feet high!

I have a mommy hen in my garage as well, with two babies, I'm sure they'll be ok. Babies might not be sticking their little heads out for a while!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I've found 3 milk jugs and cut the bottoms off - I need to find another one then my tomatoes will be covered. :D

I can cover the gardens (raised beds) with a painters drop cloth - BUT the wind is so strong I don't know how long it would stay up! (I can hear the wind whistling now)

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Plastic garbage bags will work, too--they kept my tomatoes alive when I put them in the ground last year in April. Even the black ones will work, but if they're opaque you could leave them on until the "all clear" sounds.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I found another jug thingie, all tomato's are covered - and it SNOWED ON ME when I was out there covering them up!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts