Grrrrr Freeze tonight! (baby chick pic's - page 2)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
I found another jug thingie, all tomato's are covered - and it SNOWED ON ME when I was out there covering them up!!!!!!!!!!
:th Wishing you luck tonight! Here I was thinking that our 30 degree morning this week was bad news! Some of our young trees got nipped, but I guess it is better than 20 with wind! I'm hoping it doesn't really get to 20. :fl

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Wildsky said:
I found another jug thingie, all tomato's are covered - and it SNOWED ON ME when I was out there covering them up!!!!!!!!!!
:th Wishing you luck tonight! Here I was thinking that our 30 degree morning this week was bad news! Some of our young trees got nipped, but I guess it is better than 20 with wind! I'm hoping it doesn't really get to 20. :fl
We have heavy clouds, I'm hoping they'll hold in some warmth, even a little bit will help!

I think my garden will be ok, but if not - oh well, not the end of the world, I will just start over. :th

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We're getting snow here tonight, also. There's not much planted in the garden yet (peas, onions, potatoes - the potatoes aren't up yet), so I think that'll be OK. My strawberry patch is blossoming - so I'm going to find something to cover that. The apple trees are blossoming, but they're on their own - too big to do anything with.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
We have heavy clouds, I'm hoping they'll hold in some warmth, even a little bit will help!
Yes! And if it keeps snowing that is extra insulation too!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
We got a late frost last year after we the garden all planted. Between the 5 gallon buckets of water some sheets and some kerosene lanterns, we avoided a total wipeout.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Stupid sun popped out - this weather is just crazy - its still very cold and windy - I just lit a fire :lol:

Just for the awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww factor.

This is Moon and her adopted babies. (her eggs didn't hatch so I bought some babies and stuffed them under there! :gig )
She went broody in the garage, so we built an enclosure around her. (damn spoiled birds! and now my car is parked outside)

Moonandbabies.jpg

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Adorable little chickies . . . what are they?

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
brrrrr! spent an hour in the pouring rain covering strawberries, asparagus, and garlic with straw, and covering the blue berry bushes which are in bloom. sopping wet, and the straw sticks to wet jackets.
threw everything in the wash, took a hot bath, built a fire....am just warming up.

the apple chart was great - it is only going to get down to 30 supposedly, so the apples should be ok. I gave up before I got to the cherry trees, they are so young that even if all the blossoms make it, I'ld only get a handful of cherries anyway.

got the coop ready for a cold night - thinking the hens won't go out in the morning when they see the snow, so had to add water and feed inside. Hens are sopping wet, feathers plastered to their skin and you can see a lot of skin! turned the heat lamp on so when they decide to go into the coop it will help them dry off.

hope they don't get pneumonia!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
lalaland said:
brrrrr! spent an hour in the pouring rain covering strawberries, asparagus, and garlic with straw, and covering the blue berry bushes which are in bloom. sopping wet, and the straw sticks to wet jackets.
threw everything in the wash, took a hot bath, built a fire....am just warming up.

the apple chart was great - it is only going to get down to 30 supposedly, so the apples should be ok. I gave up before I got to the cherry trees, they are so young that even if all the blossoms make it, I'ld only get a handful of cherries anyway.

got the coop ready for a cold night - thinking the hens won't go out in the morning when they see the snow, so had to add water and feed inside. Hens are sopping wet, feathers plastered to their skin and you can see a lot of skin! turned the heat lamp on so when they decide to go into the coop it will help them dry off.

hope they don't get pneumonia!
You're brave! I would have booted my husband out! I covered my tomato's with milk jugs earlier today - the wind was just beating them up!

Chickens are tough cookies, those little babies are out and about and its in the 40's out. Every now and then they'll run under mom, but they're having a blast in their food dish! :th