Guess I'll try again.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
If I owned your building I would be packing the dome with insulation and what is your fixation on smoke all about? Here in the pine woods we have people on the lookout for smoke all the time
I seem to have this nasty habit of liking to breathe clean air. Thus breathing smoke when it fills the room Tends to annoy my tender lungs.
I have considered filling the building at the top with insulation of the spray on variety. The real problem is getting people to do stuff in my neck of the woods. There aren't that many people who do things and the ones who do are generally so busy they don't have time.
I do generally need altitude in the building in order to be able to get my tractor in that room so I can work on it when I have to.
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//
Ok now you have got me really confused Are you saying that a rocket stove does NOT exhaust to the outside? Is it supposed to but that is one of those little bugs that have to be worked out of Your stove? Smoke is bad but it is better than taking the long sleep brought on by Carbon Monoxide that is often produced with smoke. In case you haven't figured it out I thought you were concerned about the smoke OUTSIDE, hence my comment about piney woods and people being on the outlook for smoke. Here you have to have a permit for a outside burn, and if it gets away from you and into the pine woods you can be charged as a felon~GD

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've read that, properly done, a rocket stove doesn't exhaust smoke-- just a little water vapor. I don't know if that's true of an RMH though. I would still vent it to the outside though

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
~gd said:
Ok now you have got me really confused Are you saying that a rocket stove does NOT exhaust to the outside? Is it supposed to but that is one of those little bugs that have to be worked out of Your stove? Smoke is bad but it is better than taking the long sleep brought on by Carbon Monoxide that is often produced with smoke. In case you haven't figured it out I thought you were concerned about the smoke OUTSIDE, hence my comment about piney woods and people being on the outlook for smoke. Here you have to have a permit for a outside burn, and if it gets away from you and into the pine woods you can be charged as a felon~GD
The rocket stove is designed to produce little if any products of combustion. I have had the thing burning about 500*F but that is only after it has "warmed up". The actual rocket stove, once burning produces essentially water and a little CO2.
The rocket mass heater is a rocket stove inside a steel shell. Whatever smoke or POC is produced it has to be exhausted to the outside. I have some new photographs of my progress thus far. I will publish that and it should make more sense. My intent is to heat my shop which by my calculations is about 17,600 cubic feet (35 x 35 x15 high). In the dead of winter when the air is
-25*F it is a bit difficult to work out there. This particular configuration should generate enough BTU's to do the job...I hope. That is the theory at least. My current project has a cross sectional area about 36 square inches (6 x 6) Steel tubing. The horizontal (combustion chamber is 24 inches long, the vertical component, is 47" tall. I have a 16.5" diameter steel water tank (3/32" thick) which I calculated to leave only about 2" at the top between the top of the vertical component and the inside top of the steel tank. I've been made to believe that this distance is critical for the operation of the heater. Any gases that are produced inside this tank can be exhausted through a 5" steel tubing that I welded onto the bottom of the tank. That will be led to a tubing that should be able to exhaust any gases/smoke generated to the outside. (yes, I agree...I am NOT ready for the long sleep)

Once this thing is heated up properly it will consume (i.e. burn almost everything so completely) the products of combustion so that essentially no toxic gases escape. I have had it burning hot enough to see that be true but the slightest adjustment of the wood or change in the temperature in the combustion chamber will generate some smoke at first which needs to be exhausted out of the building.

The difference with my project is that I am NOT going to build the large cob bed through which the heat would travel and be stored. The figures I have read on that indicate that the weight alone is in excess of 7000 lbs and while I do have it on a cement floor in the shed, I would like to be able to move this thing (I use my tractor to lift it) until I am certain as to where I want it to live. I am not good at making certain types of decsion and that is one of my biggest drawbacks when doing a project like this. Once it is built, I will determine what size space I can heat with it and then decide where it will live more permanently.

I will put some pictures up so you can see what I am doing. I worked on it yesterday. I got the rocket stove set on the bottom of the tank which I had cut away from the top of the tank. I cut a hole in the lower portion of the tank and welded the steel exhaust tubing into that so all I have to do now is connect the exhaust tubing and run it out of the building. The temperature change from the top of the stove will be significant. My hope is that the heat will cause the tank to heat up and the exhaust gases (if any) will be in the 140*F range (down from about 700*F at the top of the vertical component). That change should in most circumstances provide all that heat to my shop instead of putting it out the exhaust and trying to heat the great outdoors such as we see with a wood burning fireplace.

Somehow, I get the impression that I am NOT explaining this as good as I need in order to make it understandable. I hope the pictures will assist me...confucius says "one picture is worth 1000 words..."

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
~gd said:
The rocket stove is designed to produce little if any products of combustion. I have had the thing burning about 500*F but that is only after it has "warmed up". The actual rocket stove, once burning produces essentially water and a little CO2.
The rocket mass heater is a rocket stove inside a steel shell. Whatever smoke or POC is produced it has to be exhausted to the outside. I have some new photographs of my progress thus far. I will publish that and it should make more sense. My intent is to heat my shop which by my calculations is about 17,600 cubic feet (35 x 35 x15 high). In the dead of winter when the air is
-25*F it is a bit difficult to work out there. This particular configuration should generate enough BTU's to do the job...I hope. That is the theory at least. My current project has a cross sectional area about 36 square inches (6 x 6) Steel tubing. The horizontal (combustion chamber is 24 inches long, the vertical component, is 47" tall. I have a 16.5" diameter steel water tank (3/32" thick) which I calculated to leave only about 2" at the top between the top of the vertical component and the inside top of the steel tank. I've been made to believe that this distance is critical for the operation of the heater. Any gases that are produced inside this tank can be exhausted through a 5" steel tubing that I welded onto the bottom of the tank. That will be led to a tubing that should be able to exhaust any gases/smoke generated to the outside. (yes, I agree...I am NOT ready for the long sleep)

Once this thing is heated up properly it will consume (i.e. burn almost everything so completely) the products of combustion so that essentially no toxic gases escape. I have had it burning hot enough to see that be true but the slightest adjustment of the wood or change in the temperature in the combustion chamber will generate some smoke at first which needs to be exhausted out of the building.

The difference with my project is that I am NOT going to build the large cob bed through which the heat would travel and be stored. The figures I have read on that indicate that the weight alone is in excess of 7000 lbs and while I do have it on a cement floor in the shed, I would like to be able to move this thing (I use my tractor to lift it) until I am certain as to where I want it to live. I am not good at making certain types of decsion and that is one of my biggest drawbacks when doing a project like this. Once it is built, I will determine what size space I can heat with it and then decide where it will live more permanently.

I will put some pictures up so you can see what I am doing. I worked on it yesterday. I got the rocket stove set on the bottom of the tank which I had cut away from the top of the tank. I cut a hole in the lower portion of the tank and welded the steel exhaust tubing into that so all I have to do now is connect the exhaust tubing and run it out of the building. The temperature change from the top of the stove will be significant. My hope is that the heat will cause the tank to heat up and the exhaust gases (if any) will be in the 140*F range (down from about 700*F at the top of the vertical component). That change should in most circumstances provide all that heat to my shop instead of putting it out the exhaust and trying to heat the great outdoors such as we see with a wood burning fireplace.

Somehow, I get the impression that I am NOT explaining this as good as I need in order to make it understandable. I hope the pictures will assist me...confucius says "one picture is worth 1000 words..."
Well you are right about one thing. The more I read the more confused I get! Like how does the smoke get from the stove to the exhaust? You keep talking about complete combustion leaving no products of combustion which I know is wrong each mole of carbon is going to combine with either one [mono] or 2 [di} moles of oxygen that is high school chemistry both are deadly Monoxide is toxic but you can drown in dioxide if it displaces air. And I dont get how you expect any hot gas is going to fall to the bottom of your tank to be discharged. Yep I will wait for the pictures before I make myself even a bigger fool~gd

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
~gd said:
Well you are right about one thing. The more I read the more confused I get! Like how does the smoke get from the stove to the exhaust? You keep talking about complete combustion leaving no products of combustion which I know is wrong each mole of carbon is going to combine with either one [mono] or 2 [di} moles of oxygen that is high school chemistry both are deadly Monoxide is toxic but you can drown in dioxide if it displaces air. And I dont get how you expect any hot gas is going to fall to the bottom of your tank to be discharged. Yep I will wait for the pictures before I make myself even a bigger fool~gd
Perhaps my description of the combustion failed to admit that carbon dioxide and water are produced. It is more important however to realize that the harmful products of combustion are the ones which are consumed and transformed into the waste products, CO2 and H2O. I did post a few photographs in Post #2. There you will find the basic configuration with the tank over the J tube and the round tube on the bottom immediately behind the J tube is where any smoke will egress to the outdoors. I think there won't be much smoke but if there is, I would rather it go outside than fill my shop so I have to open more doors to let the smoke out.
This really isn't that difficult. Hope this helps...eh ~gd?

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
GD, for crying out loud - yes we get it, your're a chemist - now quit bringing up moles and big ass numbers, if you do then please explain them to us and quit belittling people.

P.S. I loved your advice about burying the tomato plants deep in high heat.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Actually, in defense of GD, he's toned down his posts a lot! And, w/the discussion that he and ICU are having, this is actually an appropriate usage of his terms. In chemistry, moles are a unit of measurement. Here's a link that explains about moles. When he talks about carbon bonding w/either two (di) or one (mono) oxygen, he's talking about carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide. Simple enough. I'll admit to having a bit of a head start on this type of discussion since I had 4 semesters of chemistry in college-including 3 of organic, but it's also been quite a number of years ago. I've probably forgotten about 95% of what I learned.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Thanks Ms Deb, my sarcasm and humor knows no bounds -

I too am also degreed in chemistry, albeit a minor one, my beef with ~gd is more of a fun past time invoking the zeroth law rather then one of spite.

I didn't mean to come back after a long hiatus and start trouble but an email had alerted me to an otherwise long dead post. I had originally left here because of a large band of "greater than thou" bullies that pushed us free thinkers aside...

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Glad you explained. While GD and I have our differences, he is a wealth of knowledge, and as long as he's not lecturing, I enjoy reading his posts.