Guess I'll try again.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
xpc said:
GD, for crying out loud - yes we get it, your're a chemist - now quit bringing up moles and big ass numbers, if you do then please explain them to us and quit belittling people.Well in my defence I was writing for the doctor {MD} and I assumed he had done fairly well in rwo years of chemistry. so either MYOB or YOU explain the Chemistry to the good folks because when I tried it last I got cited as a troll. There are many people[ on here that are experts IN IHERE FIELD so do your rules only apply to Chemists? And what big ass numbers are you writing about? ~gd
P.S. I loved your advice about burying the tomato plants deep in high heat.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Okay boys, that's enough. Back to your corners! Just for the record, yes I did well in chemistry; and yes I did understand the chemistry GD was trying to explain. To enlighten everybody, I am aware of the carbon monoxide issue however the fire burns so hot that it really is not as big an issue as one would expect. The egress of smoke through the tubing in the bottom of the burner allows the loss of whatever smoke might have accumulated in the heater.

The beauty of a rocket stove is that it burns hot enough to consume the products of combustion to such a degree that all that is left is carbon dioxide and water.

I will however say, that I do appreciate a good debate. Obviously we three and probably many more including Denim Deb have the ability to understand this level of chemistry and can enjoy a good debate. And since no one has bothered to explain it, I will if I can remember correctly state that one mole is the molecular weight of a substance in grams. For example, one mole of carbon would weigh 12 grams, if I remember the molecular weight of carbon.
You guys are actually why I like coming here.
Glad to see XPC back on the circuit with everybody else.
I hope to hear a lot more from all of you in the future.
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
Okay boys, that's enough. Back to your corners! Just for the record, yes I did well in chemistry; and yes I did understand the chemistry GD was trying to explain. To enlighten everybody, I am aware of the carbon monoxide issue however the fire burns so hot that it really is not as big an issue as one would expect. The egress of smoke through the tubing in the bottom of the burner allows the loss of whatever smoke might have accumulated in the heater.

The beauty of a rocket stove is that it burns hot enough to consume the products of combustion to such a degree that all that is left is carbon dioxide and water.

I will however say, that I do appreciate a good debate. Obviously we three and probably many more including Denim Deb have the ability to understand this level of chemistry and can enjoy a good debate. And since no one has bothered to explain it, I will if I can remember correctly state that one mole is the molecular weight of a substance in grams. For example, one mole of carbon would weigh 12 grams, if I remember the molecular weight of carbon.
You guys are actually why I like coming here.
Glad to see XPC back on the circuit with everybody else.
I hope to hear a lot more from all of you in the future.
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//
Since I moved to the South a few decades ago I dropped the word 'boy' from my common usage, many find the term to be an insult to their manhood.
In college we considered the premed students to be 'curve wreckers' They had to have A or B+ to get into med school so I sort of expect a Doctor to know the Basics ~gd

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks. I've been away a LOT lately. It seems that I got myself into a schedule that has made me busy for about 3 weeks without a break. Not smart but that is the way things go.
Autumn is here. Leaves are changing color and the temperatures are beginning to show decline.
The fall is my favorite time of year so I am happy with all that.
The rocket heater is currently on hold because I won't have any more free time for another two weeks. :(
I've been living in a 5th wheel and that is a learning experience because I am able to get electricity, but no water. I have to use my on board water supply so things have to be more carefully done. It is good in a way to learn those skills once again.
In all, things are OK for now.
We'll see what the criminals in D C do now that they have shut down much of our government. I think it is time to RE-CALL ALL OF THEM. NO EXCEPTIONS. WE need legislation to make that happen. If they can't do their job...they're fired. That is how they would treat us!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
Thanks. I've been away a LOT lately. It seems that I got myself into a schedule that has made me busy for about 3 weeks without a break. Not smart but that is the way things go.
Autumn is here. Leaves are changing color and the temperatures are beginning to show decline.
The rocket heater is currently on hold because I won't have any more free time for another two weeks. :(
I've been living in a 5th wheel and that is a learning experience because I am able to get electricity, but no water. I have to use my on board water supply so things have to be more carefully done. It is good in a way to learn those skills once again.
We'll see what the criminals in D C do now that they have shut down much of our government. I think it is time to RE-CALL ALL OF THEM. NO EXCEPTIONS. WE need legislation to make that happen. If they can't do their job...they're fired. That is how they would treat us!
Gee you need legislation to make that happen? Get real you expect the law makers to make it possible to recall themselves. BY any chance are you one of the government employees impacted by the shutdown? We elected those 'criminals' so maybe we got what we deserved and who would we replace them with? We have one group that wants to keep spending like there is no limit but another group has control of the purse and they say no more! This is the second recent go around and the big spenders didn't live up to their end of the deal the first time around. They will make another deal and not live up to that. In 2014 all the purse holders are up for election. I intend to vote for those that held the line you do what ever you think is right.~gd

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
~gd said:
Icu4dzs said:
Gee you need legislation to make that happen? Get real you expect the law makers to make it possible to recall themselves. BY any chance are you one of the government employees impacted by the shutdown? We elected those 'criminals' so maybe we got what we deserved and who would we replace them with? We have one group that wants to keep spending like there is no limit but another group has control of the purse and they say no more! This is the second recent go around and the big spenders didn't live up to their end of the deal the first time around. They will make another deal and not live up to that. In 2014 all the purse holders are up for election. I intend to vote for those that held the line you do what ever you think is right.~gd
No, fortunately I am what you call an independent contractor. And I do not work for my rich uncle Sam. I do get a pension from him and if I lose that in this mess, well then I lost it. There's nothing I can do about it. To be honest with you I am convinced that's the case. I have a feeling they will stop all of this and we will lose everything but then again that's okay too because when all the people who are on welfare stop getting checks there'll be much bigger problems and whether they blamed the democrats or the Republicans for it really won't matter.

I did notice however that THEY are continuing to get paid and THEY are continuing to fight in the halls of Congress but on different issues now. I suppose THEY are going to let this fester until the people of the country get really angry. Frankly, I think they've been planning to do this all along. I think the Democrats put this situation into play and now it is happening exactly as they wanted it to happen.

All the American people can do is sit by and watch it happen. They have no control over anything and are letting these criminals get away with whatever they want to do. Is there something wrong with that?

Ah, But then "Brutus IS an honorable man."

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I"m not a political person, but I have my additude about who all is right and wrong in there. The few I like, haven't done enough to make me absolutely love them. Personally I hope it all flops.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wonder if this is the beginning of TSHTF. Can you imagine what may possibly happen if the extremists in DC don't compromise? Do we need to get our money out of the banks that are guaranteed by the gov't?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
~gd said:
Icu4dzs said:
No, fortunately I am what you call an independent contractor. And I do not work for my rich uncle Sam. I do get a pension from him and if I lose that in this mess, well then I lost it. There's nothing I can do about it. To be honest with you I am convinced that's the case. I have a feeling they will stop all of this and we will lose everything but then again that's okay too because when all the people who are on welfare stop getting checks there'll be much bigger problems and whether they blamed the democrats or the Republicans for it really won't matter.

I did notice however that THEY are continuing to get paid and THEY are continuing to fight in the halls of Congress but on different issues now. I suppose THEY are going to let this fester until the people of the country get really angry. Frankly, I think they've been planning to do this all along. I think the Democrats put this situation into play and now it is happening exactly as they wanted it to happen.

All the American people can do is sit by and watch it happen. They have no control over anything and are letting these criminals get away with whatever they want to do. Is there something wrong with that?

Ah, But then "Brutus IS an honorable man."
Now that is a great quote for these times. I am close to Ft Bragg/Pope AFB and many vetrans work as independent contractors there because they already Have the security clearance. During the last go round they were cut back to 4 day work week "just till 10/1 when the new budget kicks in" Now they aren't working at all and can't draw unemployment benefits because they were independent contractors! That also means that they won't be counted as unemployed. We are already at 9.6% but there are really more out of work then when we were in the great recession. Our troops are taught how to be P.C. but not how to fix their own gear, that is left to independent contractors. Lets hope we don't need to deploy these troups with parachutes that won't open, guns that won't fire and better than 40% of aircraft that are unfit to fly.
The pay issue was added to the Constitution years ago so THEY could not raise their own pay! A couple of Reps have pledged their pay to charity until the government starts up again. I will remember that next year[one was from my district] ~gd