Guess I'll try again.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The pay issue was one of the original 12 proposed amendments that we call the Bill of Rights. It took until 1995 for it to be ratified and made into law. I wonder what sort of pay they would be getting if it had been ratified in the 1700's?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Britesea said:
The pay issue was one of the original 12 proposed amendments that we call the Bill of Rights. It took until 1995 for it to be ratified and made into law. I wonder what sort of pay they would be getting if it had been ratified in the 1700's?
Actually it is the 27 th amendment ratified in 1992 [they are given numbers when thry are ratified not when proposed] though it was proposed at the same time as the Bill of Rights it only limits the date when a pay change can take effect so I woulld expect little effect on pay levels.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:frow
Thinking about you and your weather Doc. It seems winter has arrived for you. I hope all is well.

G

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
:frow
Thinking about you and your weather Doc. It seems winter has arrived for you. I hope all is well.

G
Hey G,
Nice to hear from you. Yes, winter has reached SDAK. Fortunately, I am way up on the NE corner and we have been having a lot of rain, wind and colder temps but not the blizzards they're having on the west side of the state. That area is very odd from a meteorological perspective. I'm just fine where I am for now.
At the moment, I am living in my 5th wheel in a small town 100 miles from my home. I would like to get home Monday AM without having to pull this thing in the snow. I don't know of any snow predicted for this part but who knows?
I'll bet you folks in SoCal are doing ok for now.
It started to get cold in here. I noticed the temperature was dropping but it sounded like the furnace was still working. I had to go outside and turn on the other propane tank because apparently the one that was on a ran out of fuel. That fixed the problem.
Haven't worked on my rocket stove lately. I've been away so much. I don't get time to work on it in the shed when I'm home because I'm only home for a few hours at a time.
I did put some work into it the last time I was home but unfortunately it is not really obvious when you look at the picture so I'll wait until I have something more to show.
Hope all of you are well.
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good to hear your doing well. I can relate to living in the rv. It's not quite common knowledge but I moved. My family has finally been blessed with the opportunity to move east.

We now reside in SW Missouri. We lived in the rv with 3 kids my rottweiler and an orange tabby for 5 weeks before we settled. Thank goodness the weather was mild.

Anyways, I'm sure your working hard as ever. I look forward to hearing about the rocket stove, oh and the Pioneer stove you installed last year.

Take care,
Gina

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was always taught, "Actions speak louder than words!" It really doesn't matter what is said. It matters what they do. They have created the beginning of a totalitarian situation where the "Authorities" (Democrats) make the rules and if you don't like it, you are a criminal and have to be "weeded out" so the rest of the "sheeple" will comply and conform without question.

I remember a joke that came from Iraq. A guy went to vote (of course there was Mr. Hussein and someone else on the ballot) so when he came home, he told his wife he had voted for someone other than Hussein. The wife panicked and told him to go back and change it or they would come and kill the whole family. The man realised what he had done so he ran back to the polls and told them he made a mistake and voted for wrong person and needed to change it. They looked at him and smiled and said, "We know, so we changed it FOR you!"

Most of us enjoy the woods. Kind of reminds me of movie I saw recently called Jack Reacher with Tom Cruise. One of the characters in it was Robert Duvall who plays an old retired Marine. If you haven't seen it, it was fun to watch Duvall. I'm not that fond of Cruise one way or the other but I always like the character Duvall plays. He puts his own flavor in it and I just dig it. He did a similar character in a movie called "Secondhand Lions". It was really funny in places but he creates a character you and I would undoubtedly respect. He was also in a movie called "The Road" and that was a movie you should see if you ever get the chance. (rent the disk if nothing else.)

One of the things I have been working on is called a bed box. Some people call them cupboard beds. While there is still time, I want to get about 10 (or as many as I can) sheets of 1.5" styrofoam insulation. It is weatherproof, waterproof and even if I don't use it right away, it won't deteriorate for the next 1000 years or so...LOL. I may be a tough old bird but even us old guys have our limitations when it comes to being cold. Even if I don't get the bed-box built right away, I will still be able to keep warm at night.

I'm looking out the window of my RV. I've been living in it a lot lately because I am working in a small town 100 miles from home. Living in the RV definitely brings you some challenges and awareness that we often forget or take for granted.

Obviously, water discipline is a "MAJOR" issue. I have electricity, but no water coming IN or going OUT. I have to watch every drop I use either for dishes, hygiene or sanitation. I really don't know what the expected capacities of this thing would consist of but since I can't dump sewage and don't have a fresh water source, I have to be mindful of the volumes that I do use.

We have had a lot of rain over the past two weekends. Imagine that. I get to go out in my camper and spend most of it inside because of the rain...go figure. I guess the good side of that is the fact that they had blizzards out west of here about 400 miles so rain is certainly no where near the problem the snow would have been. Had this been snow, my camper would have been stranded in place and I would have to leave it till the snow was receded enough to pull it away. That could take any where from a few days to a few weeks to next spring, depending on the amount of snow with the first storm and what comes afterwards.

My current plan is to take it home this Monday and "put it to bed for the winter" when I get there. I really like using it down here and get at least 1 weekend here a month so it is nice; much nicer than having to stay in the hospital room. That really depresses me. I can do it but I don't like it and don't really relax. At least in the camper I can relax and be comfortable.

I've come to the conclusion that a RV is a whole lot more civilized a situation than was a "claim shack" in the days gone by. Even if there are a few things that DON"T work, the majority of the things inside make life a little more comfortable when one is on their own.

I'm one of those folks who tries really hard not to break things and despite the fact that I do on rare occasion, I find that things really do last longer when I own them and use them by myself than when someone is with me and doesn't really have any concern for the care and preservation of the resources. That is something that really bothers me.

Well, I am just about "talked out" for the moment on the issue of the SHTF situation in DC. I really don't know what to say about the issues going on in the capitol but I can assure you it isn't going to "get better and go away!"

I am convinced we are in the sentinel events of the "tribulation" we were warned about by St. John the Revelator for this time in history. I'm also convinced that it has happened in multiple other times in history but we aren't aware of it because we are living in the "land of milk and honey" that our father Abraham saw when he saw things in his dream. Actually maybe we are aware of it, but we don't really understand what happened to those people at that time. There's no doubt in my mind that the folks in Europe certainly went through a major tribulation during second world war, considering millions died, their homes and worlds were completely destroyed and had to be rebuilt after the war was over. I don't think anyone has any question about that. Certainly no one, at least no one I can think of, would deny the fact that Adolf Hitler certainly had the makings of a true antichrist.

Somehow, I am trying to figure out exactly what would be the "next step" for me but I already have a good location and things I need to survive a long economic problem. I have been careful to accumulate hand tools, and things that will allow me to take care of myself for quite some time if the economy of the country fails completely. My guess is that something will change in the next two weeks. We will see!

The democrats have gambled that they can "win" this one (and at the same time make it look as though it is the fault of the Republicans) while we all lose. I'm not convinced of that. The democrats decided NOT to take any of the deals they were offered and made the decision to shut down the system. Of course the MSM is paid by the democrats so they are spinning it to look like it is the fault of the Republicans who actually READ the ACA! None of the democrats who voted for it ever read it or understood what it was REALLY about. The real problem is that this is a situation where the Democrats are trying to prove and stick to the argument that they are in charge and that they run the country and that everybody has to do what they declare has to be done. That is the part that I think is making this so difficult for everybody.

The debt ceiling is the next great issue. The POTUS stated that social security checks will still come out with the gov't shut down but NOT if they don't raise the debt ceiling. Well, what then? Does that mean not only the Social Security checks but the WELFARE checks as well. My prediction is that they think the old folks won't rise up and revolt but the welfare "entitled folks" will. After all, they don't have to go to work, they all have guns hidden, most of them have drug histories and wouldn't think twice of going out on the streets and rioting, mostly because they don't have any idea of what to do with themselves if they don't have spendable cash for liquor, drugs and gambling. Actually, I am not making this up. It has happened many times in the last forty years. Does anybody remember an area in Los Angeles called Watts?

I am still convinced that being out of the city is the best option for the next several years or more. IF the wacko's don't get their welfare checks and the drug dealers can't sell their products and the addicts don't get their drugs, cigarettes and alcohol, they will begin to go stark raving mad and start tearing things apart. Once that happens, someone will declare "Martial Law" in an effort to control that mess.

My question is "just how far are they going to have to raise the debt ceiling and how many times are they going to have to raise it?" It appears that this POTUS has been successful in putting our country into such deep debt that our great-great-great grandchildren will still be paying it off until they are old. My concern is that somewhere in the continuum of things someone will decide that they no longer want "to pay for the sins of their fathers" and rebel. Exactly who will make that decision is anyone's guess. My worry is that it will happen very soon. But then we've suspected that for a long time now, haven't we? Frankly, I would prefer that this not happen.

You know it's a funny thing. Every time I hear that air raid siren go off at exactly 12 o'clock noon it always gets my attention. I don't know why but for some reason, one day I expect to hear it when it's not 12 o'clock noon.

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I expect the GOP to back down soon and try for a big win 11/14 [based on 'what would a coward do?"] They are outnumbered so will fall back and retrench. Hey It worked in the last war that we wom, forget about all the draws and the little wars that we lost.I think there is a reason that our ground troops are training in urban warfare. If the natives get restless in the cities they will be deadmeat. The wilds another story as long as we stay dispersed they won't risk theiir drones or copters on us. Has anyone else noticed that unregistered burner phones are hard to find to buy? I use to use these $8 phones just to have to call 911 or AAA. The battries finally died and I can't buy battries or phones. Boy I hope I am wrong on all of this!~gd

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder if there will even be an election in 2014. The POTUS wants to be KOTUS. When I see pictures of him sitting in OUR White House with his feet on OUR furniture, he looks like someone who believes he owns it- not someone that's just living there for a few years.

~gd, I had not realized those phones were getting impossible to find. Dang, I was hoping to buy one when the contract on my current cell phone expired.

I certainly hope you are right about the rural areas being safer- I've staked my life and the lives of my family on it. But I'm not sure the troops will come out on top in the cities. Some of the largest cities have got as many if not more residents than the entire armed forces; if more than one explodes at the same time, I think that even if the troops try to surround and contain the violence they will fail. Some cities, like New York, could be contained... but try to imagine containing Los Angeles?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Britesea said:
I'm beginning to wonder if there will even be an election in 2014. The POTUS wants to be KOTUS. When I see pictures of him sitting in OUR White House with his feet on OUR furniture, he looks like someone who believes he owns it- not someone that's just living there for a few years.

~gd, I had not realized those phones were getting impossible to find. Dang, I was hoping to buy one when the contract on my current cell phone expired.

I certainly hope you are right about the rural areas being safer- I've staked my life and the lives of my family on it. But I'm not sure the troops will come out on top in the cities. Some of the largest cities have got as many if not more residents than the entire armed forces; if more than one explodes at the same time, I think that even if the troops try to surround and contain the violence they will fail. Some cities, like New York, could be contained... but try to imagine containing Los Angeles?
Have you ever cleaned a motel/hotel room? The things you find....
THE phone thing might be a local affair i have contacted people in CO MO NY and MD and they say that They hadn't noticed anything but when I asked they all had contract phones....
yep I know but in a riot most will be inactive and wait for the actives to be killed off if worse comes to worse they can be softened up with Chem And Bio Agents. It is tough to fight when you have a load in your drawers!
In the long term troops need to eat. Most cities only have 2 weeks of food stashed. If you are good productive farmers you can pay off with food.~gd

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is NOT what I would call a "rosy outlook". Things seem to be getting worse. I am waiting for the next "shoe to drop" and find that they won't "raise the debt ceiling" which means things will go from bad to worse. If I were to predict, I would say that they will refuse to do it this time and then the administration and the senate will attempt to "blame it" on the republican house.

This is about control. It is NOT about health care. Have any of you tried to buy health care insurance if you didn't already have it? It isn't as "affordable" as we were made to believe. And if you don't buy it, the Feds will send agents to your home to inspect it and confiscate your tax return. What is going on here? What does this have to do with helping people get heath care?

I'm confused. Is it just ME?