Guess I'll try again.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Hey!!!! So great to hear from you!! I'm glad you're around. The normal run of the mill stuff is what we all want to hear about, I think. At least I know I do.
Don't be a stranger!!
PS as much as I'm irritated with the weather here, I'm quite grateful I don't have your weather!

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Greetings all,
It’s been a really long time. Things have changed but not all.
Good to know you are still going.
Cheers
Trim sends

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
G'day Mates,
Looks like the problem I had was because the site was down rather than ransomware pirates...I'm actually really glad to know that.

So much has been going on in my life over these past several years. It's really hard to know where to begin.
I'll take it one step at a time and sooner or later I'll get it sorted out.

Part of it has to do with the fact that some politically radical individuals got me "banned" from two sites where I had been INVITED. I posted occasionally on them but the one turned out to be a haven for what I guess we can call Vigilantes... They just don't know what they want but they think they are going to solve the divide by exercising their 2d Amendment rights...indiscriminately...bad idea if you ask me.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree. War of any type just hurts lots of people; innocent and otherwise. I've been warning some of the more gung-ho types that those people we see crying in the fetal position because they got knocked down and arrested are probably NOT the well-trained and well-equipped militia we've been hearing that is being raised (by BOTH sides).

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well the year is advancing despite all the hype. The garden is winding down and the preservation work is in full swing.
Finally found a teenager who is willing to work and she spent four hours helping me yesterday. Good worker. I’ve been keeping her family supplied with milk for the past two years so the relationship between families is good.
It’s dark outside at this hour of the morning so I know winter is coming. Frankly, I don’t like the “daylight savings” and wish that would stop. Let us get used to the way the earth works instead of driving everyone crazy with circadian dysynchrony for several weeks twice a year.
We ha a couple of days with frost just to annoy us and damage some of our garden but that didn’t last too long.
Freeze drying squash takes FOREVER just in case you wanted that information.
My back is doing better but now I am a lot more careful about the things I do. A friend gave me a Pilates ball and showed me an exercise which did much more for me than the chiropractor.
Ww is well and doing the preservation work.
Dd1 is back in VA with her mother (grrrrr)
That’s about it.
Cheers
Trim sends

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just curious about how you prepare your squash for freeze drying? It actually looks like I will get enough squash this year to make that a possibility.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just curious about how you prepare your squash for freeze drying? It actually looks like I will get enough squash this year to make that a possibility.
WW bakes it in the oven. Then scoops it out and puts it in the FD trays. No special treatment that I can tell you. Last batch took 46 hours to freeze dry.
Hope that helps.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Things have actually improved with Gladys. (My cow)

I figured out she didn’t like the smell of the corn. I put feed only in her bucket and now she comes regularly. Hasn’t missed a milking since I changed the process. I installed a holder for two 15 quart over the fence type feeders today. I noticed that she won’t drink water straight out of the tap. She must smell the chlorine they put into it. She can still get water in the usual location but I try to make sure she has water when she gives milk.
Got the meds to cycle her so she can get AI.
Will start that 1 October.
Production up since figuring out the feed and reluctance to come issue. Consistently >3 gallons per day. Most days 3,25 gallons.
Cheers,
Trim sends