Hair Washing

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I took a hot shower last night and that seemed to tone down some of the oilyness. It was either that or "the traditional Mexican method" that I used. Supposedly, you use a washcloth to "brush" your hair 100 time on each side to help distribute the oils more evenly from root to tip. I did read about the baking soda/vinegar route and at this point in time have decided to put it off to use when/if I get anything gross in my hair like my kids nasty sticky fingers.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When I was younger I had very oily hair and really HAD to wash the stuff everyday. Now that I'm older and everything is drying up my hair is too. I've noticed that if I wash it too often it gets pretty dry so I've started going about three days between shampooing but I don't think I could go much longer than that. Dirty hair gives me a headache.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Everytime I read another post on this thread, I can't help but think about my dh's reaction when I come home from massaging horses in the winter. :sick Those with horses that are blanketed in the winter know what I am talking about, especially the geldings! They get pee on the blanket when they lie down to sleep, and the blanket often doesn't get washed all winter (or at least not for weeks in the unheated barns) and then, no matter how careful I am, my hair always brushes against that blanket when I reach down to pick up a hoof or unbuckle a blanket. Not washing it is not an option! :lol:

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I know what castile soap is but an someone tell me what ACV is and how you use that along with baking soda ?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
sylvie said:
No offense to anyone here attempting this, but my pet peeve is standing behind someone in a checkout line who has not been washing the hair regularly. The smell about knocks me off my feet and I come near to vomiting.

You might get a close caring friend to periodically give you a sniff test during this endeavor. You can't announce to everyone everywhere that the "stench" is an experiment. Just sayin... :sick :p
Maybe that stench is caused by someone not bathing in a long time, not just their hair.

I personally don't think I could ever do it, I hate having greasy hair and I doubt that I could live thru the month let alone be happy with it after that point!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Amos, thanks for the link. That is pretty cool. I thought that the no poo method was really getting away from using anything and letting your head 'go natural'

So Aidenbaby, is this the method you are using?

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, guys, I'm still taking baths and showers. If something gross gets in it, I'll be using the baking soda wash with vinegar rinse. Please, don't think that I don't take hygiene seriously. I am just seeing if not shampooing is an option for my hair. My hair is naturally dry, curly, and SUPER frizzy if I were to shampoo it daily. I'm mostly winging it at this point.

ETA: My children have now gone more than a week without shampooed hair and have NO sign of oil build-up at all. Kind-of makes you think.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Aidenbaby said:
Yeah, guys, I'm still taking baths and showers. If something gross gets in it, I'll be using the baking soda wash with vinegar rinse. Please, don't think that I don't take hygiene seriously. I am just seeing if not shampooing is an option for my hair. My hair is naturally dry, curly, and SUPER frizzy if I were to shampoo it daily. I'm mostly winging it at this point.

ETA: My children have now gone more than a week without shampooed hair and have NO sign of oil build-up at all. Kind-of makes you think.
How are your frizzies now? My hair is frizzy too...I would prefer to just let it air dry but if I do not work it over with a round brush and the hair dryer I am frizz city.

I would like to find a natural product that i can put on it to reduce the frizz factor.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The frizz at this point is on the ends. I have a few flyaways closer to the scalp but I think they are due to broken hairs or "baby hairs". I think I'm going to take a picture tomorrow morning after I have a baking soda wash tonight. Unfortunately, I don't have ACV only regular white vinegar so I don't know if that will work for rinse.

Latest posts