Hardboiling Eggs

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does any body else run cold water on the cooked eggs, let sit for a minute or two, then crack each one and let them cool off in the water? They have to be cracked well, not just a tiny fracture. That seems to work for me. It's how my momma did it:)

chandasue

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
sparks said:
Today (after reading this from Terri who has The Hen Cam) I steamed my FRESH eggs 20 min. Then put in cold water. They turned out great!!!:p
That's how I do it too. Works every time. :thumbsup

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Does any body else run cold water on the cooked eggs, let sit for a minute or two, then crack each one and let them cool off in the water? They have to be cracked well, not just a tiny fracture. That seems to work for me. It's how my momma did it:)
Yes, that's what I do. I put them in cold water, bring to a boil, immediately take them off the heat, and let them sit for 15 minutes. Then I pour off the hot water, and pour over some cold, while cracking the eggs all over on the side of the pan. And then let them sit in the cold water till cool, or when I need them. Though with very fresh eggs this doesn't always produce a nicely peeled egg :(
Does anyone put baking soda in the water? I read about that on BYC, but haven't tried it.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
ORChick said:
so lucky said:
Yes, that's what I do. I put them in cold water, bring to a boil, immediately take them off the heat, and let them sit for 15 minutes. Then I pour off the hot water, and pour over some cold, while cracking the eggs all over on the side of the pan. And then let them sit in the cold water till cool, or when I need them. Though with very fresh eggs this doesn't always produce a nicely peeled egg :(
Does anyone put baking soda in the water? I read about that on BYC, but haven't tried it.
2 TBL of salt is what I use