Hardboiling Eggs

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do the cold water method and it works well for me. I heard of a new method.... cook the eggs in the boiling sap while you're making maple syrup!! Haven't had any of these to eat but my friends cook them this way while thay are sugaring for snacks in the sugar shack.

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
There are lots of different ways to do it, but I've found the best way for me to do it with my fresh eggs (notoriously hard to peel) is bring the water to a boil. After the water is boiling, add the eggs and boil them for 14 minutes. When the 14 mins is up, take them out and put them immediately in an icewater bath. They peel great and don't overcook. :)
I have done boiled eggs every way possible, but I tried this with eggs straight from the chickens hiny and you are right. It is the best method for fresh eggs; about 99.5 % success rate. You sold me.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
LovinLife said:
aggieterpkatie said:
There are lots of different ways to do it, but I've found the best way for me to do it with my fresh eggs (notoriously hard to peel) is bring the water to a boil. After the water is boiling, add the eggs and boil them for 14 minutes. When the 14 mins is up, take them out and put them immediately in an icewater bath. They peel great and don't overcook. :)
Isn't it a little tricky to add the eggs to boiling water without the egg cracking or hot water spashing?
Nope, it's not tricky. I use a slotted spoon to lower them into the pan. I rarely ever have one crack. If it does, it doesn't leak out much b/c the water is already boiling and it seals up pretty quickly.

I swear, it works on fresh eggs. Try it and see! :D

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today (after reading this from Terri who has The Hen Cam) I steamed my FRESH eggs 20 min. Then put in cold water. They turned out great!!!:p

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
LovinLife said:
aggieterpkatie said:
Isn't it a little tricky to add the eggs to boiling water without the egg cracking or hot water spashing?
Nope, it's not tricky. I use a slotted spoon to lower them into the pan. I rarely ever have one crack. If it does, it doesn't leak out much b/c the water is already boiling and it seals up pretty quickly.

I swear, it works on fresh eggs. Try it and see! :D
Ahh I see. ;)

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I didn't read through this all because I just have a minute before I gotta run my boys into town.

Here is my method (actually Martha Stewart gets credit for this one). It works perfectly every time.

I use eggs stored for about a week because I'm not good at peeling fresh ones.

1. Place eggs in empty pot and fill with cold water until covered. Starting with cold water prevents cracking because the eggs do not experience a quick change in temperature.

2. Heat water until it begins to boil (should be a rolling boil). Do not let it boil on the stove any longer. Take the pot off the stove and cover with a lid. Let it sit for exactly 12 minutes. This cooks the eggs perfectly.

3. Uncover, pour out water, and place hot eggs into ice water. Cooling the eggs quickly stops the cooking of them and gives you bright yellow egg yolks, not those icky looking greenish ones.

:D

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
glenolam said:
I hate hate hate cooking hard boiled FRESH eggs. Won't do it. Never mastered the fresh hard boiled egg peel.

I'll leave them in the fridge for a week or two before I even think about it.

Then I put the eggs in the pot and fill till about 1" over the eggs with cold water. I'll put it on the stove on Medium-High and as soon as the water begins to boil I'll shut off the burner and set the timer for 10 minutes.

After that, rinse them in cold water and you're good.
Ditto. That's exactly how I do it, too.

Don't feel weird about asking questions, we've all been there. My favorite was my kid that called and asked how I made green beans....from a can. She didn't know if she could just heat them up or what.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've always put the eggs in the pot, added enough water to cover by about an inch. Then, I put the pot on the stove, cover, and let the water boil. Once the water boils, I turn off the heat and let sit for between 20 and 25 minutes. Then, I put the pot in the sink, take the lid off, and add cold water until the water in the pot no longer feels hot.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
With this august body of knowledge on the boiling of an egg, one calls to mind the third law of thermodynamics, which if worded for the average 7th grade science student states "You can't UN-boil an egg".

Just thought I'd add a little science to the whole thing...LOL :clap

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
With this august body of knowledge on the boiling of an egg, one calls to mind the third law of thermodynamics, which if worded for the average 7th grade science student states "You can't UN-boil and egg".

Just thought I'd add a little science to the whole thing...LOL :clap
:lol: I like it.