Healthy Fats and Oils.......IMO!

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We are possible going to disagree on this, but with the Nutritional background I have this is what we a taught here;

An acceptable range for total fat intake is 20-35% energy from fat, with saturated and trans fats together providing no more than 10% of energy intake. Fat is a rich source of energy and is important for carrying fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K and certain antioxidants. Fats also supply essential fatty acids for healthy skin and have a role in regulating body functions.

However, eating too much fat (particularly saturated fat) can be harmful and increase the risk of diseases such obesity, heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Most people should be encouraged to limit their fat intake but young children under five years should not be on fat-reduced diets as they have relatively high energy needs for their body size.

There are two main types of fats: saturated and unsaturated fats. Fats that are saturated tend to be more solid at room temperature and can be found in milk, cream, butter, hard cheese, meats, coconut oil, and palm oil.

Fats that are unsaturated tend to be liquid at room temperature, such as those found in vegetable oil. Unsaturated fats consist of monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats. Monounsaturated fats are found in olive oil, avocados, nuts and seeds. Polyunsaturated fats can be found in foods such as oily fish (sardines and tuna), soyabean and walnuts.

Another type of unsaturated fat are trans fats. They are formed by the hydrogenation of vegetable oils during the manufacturing of some foods such as cakes, biscuits and other processed foods but are also found naturally in smaller amounts in ruminant animal foods. Trans fats tend to act like saturated fatty acids in that they can impact on health by adversely affecting cardiovascular disease risk.

It is advised that people replace trans fats in their diet with polyunsaturated or monounsaturated fatty acids which help lower blood cholesterol levels. This can be achieved by eating less high fat processed foods and more fresh fruit and vegetables.

I don't actually think you'd find anyone here who would use lard anymore. I was brought up on it and Mum did re-heat, but fortunetly we have been educated on a safer way to use oils.

So from a healthy point of view all we use in this house for cooking is extra virgin olive oil.

I hope people don't get insulted if I disagree with what is healthy, afterall what is right for me may not be right for you!

And really both countries have a very high obesity rate and diabetes thanks to sugar and fat.

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Ok, well can I say that two years ago I made my family quit using canola oil and that the only oil I use is Olive Oil? Virgin or Extra Virgin....I've a whole cupboard full of it!!!

Uh...does that fit in with this thread???

<<<am a little bit confused............ :hu
Youv probably just reduced your likelyhood of heart disease from using this, it's the best oil you can use for cooking. Over salads, whatever.

I don't speak from a heating up re-using and rancidity point of view, I deal with oils daily so am aware what goes rancid quickly but rather from what is best for your overall health.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
"Cholesterol-lowering drugs will be a topic for tomorrow.....how I made a doctor almost cry......Tune in on Friday!"

Oh I can't WAIT to read this one!! I HATE the meds my Dr. has me on...........

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Yes, Aly, ya did good! Now get some animal fats back into your diet, too. Don't be so afraid of them, as I was. As long as they are from well-raised animals and if you render it yourself, you are in complete control of the process.....gentle heat and proper storage and freshness and NO hydrogenation.....info on that soon to come....
That's why I want pigs, so I can render the lard and use it for baking, cooking, etc.

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What oil do you add to cake batters? I always thought olive oil would give an odd flavor to the cake. :hu

Inchy

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Yesterday I bought organic coconut oil. Oh, that taste is amazing!
Looking forward to experimenting with it. I've read so many posts of Wifezilla's praising it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yes, LC, that is also what is taught in our country. I agreed with it for most of my "healthy" life. I no longer agree with it after much reading, especially here: www.westonaprice.org (many scholarly articles on fats.) I also read lots of stuff in Eat Fat, Lose Fat by Dr. Mary Enig. She was the one who loudly criticized trans fats way back when and was basically run out of the scientific community for it. Well, she was RIGHT! You said, "with saturated and trans fats together providing no more than 10% of energy intake," and I have to disagree with that....change it to "not even a molecule of trans fats should pass one's lips, they are poison to the body," and I'll accept it!

And yes, I agree that fats should be the smaller part of the diet. The amount tolerated varies from individual to individual, and is determined by genetics. People of Inuit descent, for example, come from a people who survived on seal oil and whale blubber for centuries and thrived, having vibrant health until recent decades when modern foods were introduced. So they are genetically capable of utilizing a lot of saturated fat in their diets.

Just for the record, I am 5'6" and hover around 135 lbs. I went to doctors for many, many years for a variety of health issues that became much more severe in recent years. All types of doctors. And it was a naturopath who pointed me towards the work of Dr. Weston Price and Sally Fallon and Mary Enig, and the more I incorporate the traditional foods and ways of eating, the healthier I get, and am able to maintain my weight without the slightest struggle. I eat plenty....we had a quiche with lard in the crust, cream and eggs, sausage, and mushrooms and onions that were saute'd in plenty of butter. It was so good. I had 1/4 of that pie and I was full and satisfied.

Inchy, I don't make cakes anymore. White flour and white sugar...no longer part of my diet. Sorry, can't help ya. Butter, maybe? I would eat a piece if offered at someone else's house, and would enjoy it....but to have a whole cake in the house, calling to me......;)

Quail, pork fat rules!!! Great source of vitamin D, too. Very neutral taste. Makes great soap, too. (To put it into perspective, LC, dh and I used about 2 lbs of lard since last fall....not much, really.)

Sylvie, you can do all kinds of things with coconut oil! I am allergic to coconut, but can tolerate the oil, fortunately. I like to make chocolates with it.....melt maybe 1/2 cup coconut oil, stir in either unsweetened baking chocolate squares or a heaping spoonful of baking cocoa and some powdered stevia to taste. Stir, stir, stir until thoroughly dissolved. Pour into an icecube tray to which you've added your choice of nuts and dried fruit bits, if desired. Refrigerate until firm, and enjoy cold from the fridge. Or freeze for just a few minutes, checking it often. If it freezes, it breaks up into little bits.

This WILL melt in your hands, though....

And SKR8PN, you'll have to wait! :D

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've used EVOO in any recipe that calls for oil. I don't notice any unusual flavor, but then, maybe I'm just used to it. Usually when I'm baking and something calls for shortening or a solid fat, I'll use good old fashioned butter (usually unsalted). My mother and I were talking about this when I originally quit buying margarine. I explained that we had been eating butter since we first domesticated dairy animals and therefore there was a proven track record for it and more than likely our bodies have adapted to our consumption of it. We've only been eating margarine for the last 200 years or so.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yup, and I will add some frightening info on trans fats that will get everyone reading labels, I hope! Butter is the reason I really wanted a Jersey instead of goats, but we can't have everything we want....and I do love cheese and goat's milk!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Watch the lard contents of the lard packages available at groceries. I picked up a box to make a pie crust and the ingredients had hydrogenated oil added to it! They added transfats to the lard!
They must be getting that stuff dirt cheap and then using it as an extender to increase profits.