Heart Health / Diet Question(s) - Update Pg 7

Bailey'sMom

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I tend to agree with FarmerChick. Talk to your doctor about what is best for you. Everyone on the internet has their own point of view and that is great; it is fun reading about the way others live their lives; but we are talking about your health here and you need to listen to your doctor, not people who are not medical professionals. I would hate to see anything happen to you.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it is OK
you just wait for results then you find the professional to help you get all those bodily functions in the right order LOL it will be fine for you....good thing you are taking the matters into hand and learning about the side effects etc etc

you will do yourself right cause you are active in your health. Good deal. And the pros know the answers! :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
There are only 4 macronutrients... carbohydrates, fat, protein, and alcohol. If you cut down on one you will fill that gap with something else. Alcohol is obviously NOT a good idea. If you eat more carbohydrates you will definitely increase heart disease risk and that will show itself as a higher bad cholesterol level, your bad cholesterol becoming smaller and denser, your A1c levels and your triglycerides going up. That brings us to protein. Protein is good, but high protein low fat can be a problem.

Are you using lithium because it is so affordable? Have you asked your doctor about lamictal? I know several people who had issues with lithium or depakote but had no issues with lamictal.

Bailey'sMom

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
It is possible that her doctor knows what is best for her.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
abifae said:
All I can think is find a way to scale down the meds. Easier said than done, I realize! But with a proper diet, would you be able to find a med solution that was less lethal?

Say you went off meds, went high fat and lots of sunshine and whole veggies, etc... What would you need to go back on for meds at that point? Completely hypothetically LOL.
If I was off my meds, it would take 6 - 8 weeks to get back to effective doses.

My Dr. is trying to get me to a point where I can be stable AND work. So far I get stable for about a week, apply for a job, all hell breaks loose, and my meds get raised. I'm hoping my disability application will go through and I can go down to lower doses of meds and not have to go through this "job" cycle over and over.

I'm on 250 mg Lamictal, 400mg Seroquel XR, 900mg lithium, 0.5 - 2.0 mg Klonopin, and 10 mg Loratidine to counter the congestion from Seroquel XR.

:th

Maybe if I get disability and not have to deal with this whole job-application cycle, my Dr. might let me take lower doses?

I get so frustrated because he tells me they are "very safe" but then orders testing and the reason is "high risk medication." Which one is it?!

Wifezilla

Reaction score
It is possible that her doctor knows what is best for her.
She asked for suggestions. What exactly is the problem with that? Nobody is telling her to run out and do something rash. There are a variety of treatments and medications for bipolar disorder because some treatments do not work for some people or some side effects are severe so other treatments are tried.

Bailey'sMom

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
well I worry about people telling her not to stick to the low fat diet her doctor prescribed; or tell her to work towards getting off of medication. It's risky to give advice like this when you are not a physician. I think what she was originally looking for was what she could eat within the guidelines that her doctor has given her and while taking the medication that she needs. I haven't seen anyone address that yet.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Maybe if I get disability and not have to deal with this whole job-application cycle, my Dr. might let me take lower doses?

I get so frustrated because he tells me they are "very safe" but then orders testing and the reason is "high risk medication." Which one is it?!
Yeh. What happens if you get a job, though? You'd have to stay on the more drugs for the stability?

Might be worth disability for a while just to give your body a break from the drugs! I'm totally against disability even existing, but hell, while it's here, use it!!! Might not exist in five years ;)

Wifezilla

Reaction score
So you are on a full cocktail...hmmm....

Did they start you off on a cocktail or did they start with one, add more and add more?