Heart Health / Diet Question(s) - Update Pg 7

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Tortoise,
There are several dietary things that may help a bunch, one of them being getting on fermented cod liver oil and high vitamin butter oil.
At the very least, they will go a long ways in protecting your heart, but it is very possible for them to allow you to lower dosage as well.
I have a couple of links for you, and will be back with them in a bit.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I am wondering if they have you on the right amount of your meds.

I'd talk to your doctor about those symptoms.

My health issues are different, but I take four medications. With two of them, the initial dose they tried was not the effective one. With both, I required a higher dose of the medicine than a person my size and weight typically required. But since I could tell the medicine was helping, we just needed to tweek things.

In discussing heart health here, everyone seems to be focusing on diet.

How about regular cardiovascular exercise? Exercise can also be extremely helpful for mood and attitude. Also, some meds are more effective when you are in good shape (although in your photos you certainly look trim and beautiful....). But I'm sure all of us who sit and type in front of these computers a lot like we do could use more exercise for our heart health. :love

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
tortoise said:
I'm on 250 mg Lamictal, 400mg Seroquel XR, 900mg lithium, 0.5 - 2.0 mg Klonopin, and 10 mg Loratidine to counter the congestion from Seroquel XR.
:hugs

My mom was on similar doses of the same meds, some switched out with other things for her conditions (no lithium, but other things I can't remember added in.)

She's been doing a lot to eat healthier, and works closely with her therapist and doctor. Over time, I think because of good diet and exercise, she's been able to start decreasing most of her meds. Some she will always be on.

What about asking your doc what the recommendation of "low fat" is, and then aiming to use that amount with only natural fats the WZ lists? Some fat is needed to get the lithium in, and like you said, too much fat = toxic levels. Does he want you on 40g? 60g?

Maybe see if he (or she? can't remember), will give you a list of what they suggest or need you to limit for various nutritional stats, and then post here for ideas. :)

Bailey'sMom

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Well, I was trying to look out for her as well. I would hate to see anyone damaged because they ignored medical advice. I meant no offense.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Still trying to find the post where someone told her to ditch her meds or ignore her doctor. Not seeing it.

Bailey'sMom

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
abifae said:
All I can think is find a way to scale down the meds. Easier said than done, I realize! But with a proper diet, would you be able to find a med solution that was less lethal?

Say you went off meds, went high fat and lots of sunshine and whole veggies, etc... What would you need to go back on for meds at that point? Completely hypothetically LOL.
here is one.

Bailey'sMom

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I just think it is dangerous for people to think they know more than a doctor who has trained for decades just because they have access to the internet. I am sorry if that makes me unpopular here.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
*laughing* Then you entirely missed what I was asking. No one else did.