Heirloom seeds exchange thread

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I just got my Comstock, Ferre & Co seed catalog today! For those who don't know, it is a two-century old CT company that was closed, purchased and restored by the Baker's Creek family this year.

I wanted to buy all my seeds from Baker's Creek but was confused by their catalog, lacking descriptions as to whether I could grow most things in my area. Well, their purchase of Comstock remedies that dilemma! The Comstock catalog only has stuff I can grow here, and good descriptions, and all heirloom/non-GMO.

I'd like to start (early, I know, but I am excited! :weee ) a thread on trading/giving heirloom seeds to others here who are in need of a few seeds and don't want to buy a packet containing hundreds of seeds when they just need a few for their needs. I'm hoping we can either exchange or just give/receive small amounts of seeds, and offer a little money if you can.

No rules, only that if you want to offer seeds and need to receive some money for them, that is very good, and if you want to offer seeds for free, that is good, too, no judgement. If you want to buy seeds, great, if you are in dire need (please don't put yourself in the dire need category if you smoke or have other expensive and unnecessary habits which would allow you to afford to purchase....sorry, pet peeve of mine) feel free to ask here or in a pm to an individual. If you could clarify in your offer of seeds if you need moola or if you can give it away, that would be good. Trading is good, too.

You can post what you have here and post what you need. Heirloom/non-GMO only for this thread, please! You can pm someone if you are a bit embarrassed to ask for free seeds in the public forum. Update your offers when the seeds are all taken.

Think it can work?

ETA: Wants:

6-8 zucchini seeds

6-8 jalapeno

6-8 cayenne

6-8 swiss chard, preferable the colorful one

A very partial list of what I have to offer (haven't gone through my bag of seeds from last year yet, so these are "packed/picked in 2010 seeds"):

wormwood

Lettuce, black seeded simpson

Lettuce, strawberry cabbage

Corn, Wade's Giant Indian Corn

Beet, Detroit dark red

Pole Beans, Lazy Wife

Pole Beans, Black Valentine

Squash, Blue Hubbard

Squash, Long Island Cheese

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I've tried saving my Cucuzza seeds for the first time this year. I have way more than I need and would be happy to send some to anyone wanting to try them (as long as they last). They are an heirloom seed, but I can't promise that they will germinate, being my first time.

Free Cucuzza for everyone! :weee

Edited to add: Anyone wanting Cucuzza seeds, please PM me.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have seeds on the way as well as stuff I saved last year from Baker Creek stock.
I am interested in swapping.

Here is a partial list...
Ground Cherries
Alpine Strawberries
Collective Farm Woman Melon
Chariatias Melon
Golden Sweet Melon
Rich Sweetness 132 Melon
Black Plum tomato
Boc Pak Choy
Dutch bantam sweet corn
Heirloom lemon balm
Orange Giant Amaranth
Joseph's coat amaranth

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
I have to collect a list and I'll be back. New BCS order coming 50+ varieties.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I am in DIRE need of tobacco seed, so that I can SS smoke, and then maybe get some more seeds for food once I am not buying smokes......... :hide

:lol: Juuuuuust kidding! :p

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm interested especially in barter/trade. Will have to get my list together after the holiday rush. I do think it would be good to make sure you list the gardening zone you live in so we don't request seed that won't do well in our zone. ;)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am in zone 4..maybe 5..sort of...kind of :D

I am in the mountains at 5500 ft. We have hot days and cold nights and a short growing season. Basically if I can grow it, anyone can!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I'll have to get my list together. I saved a lot of my GMO free corn seeds from Baker Creek. Of course I cannot guarantee that they are still GMO free, but I am pretty sure they didn't cross polinate with other corn, since none of my immediate neighbors grew any.

I'll get back to you all.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I'd like to put in a big garden this year and I need to find some inexpensive heirloom seeds. I don't have any seeds to offer this year, but I'd be happy to pay for reasonably priced good seed in small amounts. I'm in Pacific Northwest climate.

How does this exchange go about? Should I list plants I know I'm looking to purchase and these people reading this will know what to offer me?

I'm looking for some hardy pumpkins for one......