Hell hole

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of my wife's friends is in Saint Louis Mo for some kind of quilting thing (she owns a quilting shop) My wife asked.me if I would drive her about 2 1/2 hours one way so she could see her friend that she hasn't seen in like 5 years - so I did... I dropped my wife of at the Marriott under the arch so she could have dinner with her friend and do "girl things". I was like a fish out of water lost in the city and left to my own devices...

I found a restaurant called Broadway Oyster Bar to get something to eat directly across the street from the Saint Louis Cardinals Stadium and about 6 blocks from the arch where I dropped my wife off at. The food was good, the music was excellent but man what a hell hole this place was in.

Here's a few pictures of Broadway Oyster Bar.
IMG_20170828_181913058.jpg

IMG_20170828_182252206.jpg

And the musician who played the guitar and sang like no tommorow. He is very seasoned and polished musician. I tipped him $5.00 because his playing was so enjoyable to my ears.
IMG_20170828_183829188.jpg

I ordered mud bugs and pasta it was also excellent...
IMG_20170828_183001490.jpg

So after I was done with supper and finished a really good Bock craft beer, I decided to take a walk. I headed out the restaurant and around back and this is what I saw... What a a f'ing hell hole and only 6 blocks from the arch and 1 street over from the Saint Louis Cardinals Stadium...
IMG_20170828_193944657.jpg

IMG_20170828_194007722.jpg

IMG_20170828_194542617.jpg

This is how close I was to the arch when I took these hell hole pictures
IMG_20170828_194022820_HDR.jpg

I didn't know it at the time but Saint Louis is second only to Detroit Mi for the most dangerous American Cities --->https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/pictures/mlj45jggj/1-detroit/amp/

Needless to say... I was approached by 2 people to try and panhandle off me... I had a knife pulled on me but the gang of kids took off running when I...

I just couldn't wait to get the hell out of this hell hole and back to the country with fresh vegetables, green grass, trees and my animals...

Why do people want to live in such a hell hole is beyond me? What's even worse is what has become of our american cities? It makes me very sad and almost to the point of embarrassment. Don't get me wrong... I'm proud to be an American but I'm not proud of this.

This thread is in stark contrast to Sumi's thread called Walking this morning... Pictures of Ireland. I guess I could call my thread Walking in the evening... pictures of Saint Louis.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have no problem commenting on so called "protestors"

Any protestor with a mask should be arrested.
Any protestor (AKA criminals) that break windows, burn buildings, destroy property of any kind should be arrested or shot.
Any protestor that injures a law officer should go to prison with a 5 year mandatory sentence.
Any protestor that destroys a police car should go to prison with a 5 year mandatory prison sentence.

These idiots riot, burn businesses, then when the ashes settle, the dumb a$$es no longer have a laundromat, grocery store, drug store...... and they wonder why....

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Goodness, that place does look and sound awful. You mentioned my thread and pics at the start of the thread. I went into Dublin city Sunday before last. Got onto the Luas and travelled from the train station out to the museum and a few stops further, before we got off and headed across the river to the "better" part of the city on foot. The first mile or so on the Luas did not deliver much more than tired looking buildings and graffiti heaven. I looked at everything and though over and over why on Mother Earth is Dublin hands down the most expensive city to live in in Ireland, it's GROTTY!! I guess it didn't help that my first impressions must've been of the rear end of the place, but wow… Not what I was expecting at all.

We saw a few homeless people, who left us alone and we did see some Garda, some on foot, so they are patrolling the city and we didn't once feel unsafe, but overall I have to say even this lovely country is not exempt from the "hell hole" that plague cities. Limerick city is our "bad" one though. That place is just not very nice, compared to the others here.

But overall, even the worst here comes up smelling like roses compared to South Africa, so I won't judge too harshly, we can do much worse!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have serious meth, heroin and prescription drug issues in my state as well. Even in my small town. In fact we saw someone dealing drugs in front of our house one evening (my husband screamed at them and we told the police, hasn't happened again). There were 6 overdoses in 36 hours in a smallish town about 40 minutes from us last week. Whoever makes Narcan is RICH now.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh man...that stinks! At one time - quite a few years ago we had some 'rough' folks living at the end of our road - we are on a 'dead end' street. Lots of traffic at all hours... I think they thought they were safe out in the country. Don't know for sure what happened (but I have an idea )that house burned to the ground and the riff-raff disappeared. YAY!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I grew up in the Midtown area of Kansas City MO. It felt so much safer in the 60's, when I was a kid. Now, I don't feel safe t even walk in my old neighborhood there. Tagging everywhere, muggings, it too is going downhill bad.
St Louis, comes across pretty dangerous to me, and I have never stayed in that town overnight. Then there is Memphis, Birmingham AL, Atlanta, Dallas/Ft Worth, Jacksonville FL. Oh, not to forget Baton Rouge and N'awlins.
Some places are best left to the TV screen or computer monitor. I drove through all of those major cities in the 80' and 90's when I was a young Navy wife. Now, I dread it, when I drive back to visit family in KCMO.