Hello from southeast Texas...pics added

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love the pics of your garden. Especially the table and chair... I need some of your creativity!

I'm beginning to wonder if we're neighbors. I saw on another post that you're fairly close to Houston. I'm about a half hour south of there myself.

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm on the east side of Houston, but we're probably still close enough to be called neighbors!

I have plenty of creativity...just never any time to do it! I always wonder what it would be like to start and finish a project without any interruptions. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I grew up on the east side of Houston. I'm sure by Texas standards, we ARE neighbors, lol.

DH and I have been building raised beds this weekend. I've already got two garden areas, but I want one closer to the house. Guess I'm getting lazy in my old age.... :)

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I should have phrased it differently...I'm east of Houston, about an hour east. Grew up here, moved away for many, many years. Moved back. Started life over. :)

I love raised beds. I couldn't talk my husband into building the garden that way, but his way works, too. I do my herb beds my way, he does the garden his way. :) Works for us! Closer to the house....that's why the old houses (like mine) had kitchen gardens. Sure wish I could be a fly on the wall a hundred years ago, to watch the day-to-day tasks of life. One of my oldest family members passed away a couple of years ago at age 94. He was born in my house (as was my father), and his memory was phenomenal. He wrote down little stories about the family and described bits and pieces about how things were done, such as larding the sausage patties, making lye soap, wash day, using turkey wings as fans, etc. It gives me a glimpse into the lives of my great-grandparents. He even drew a "map" of the property with locations of the smoke house (gone), barns (gone), kitchen garden, straw garden, regular garden, chicken coop, syrup shed, etc. (mostly all gone), He even drew in where all the fences were around the house, location of gates, where the old trees were, such as the wind breaks, all in relation to the house. So cool. Not everything on the map is within my boundaries, but it's nice to know where it was. Funny thing is how we're living more and more the way they did. Except the city is now around us.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was about a half hour east of Houston growing up.

I've always thought I was born about a hundred years too late. However, I'm glad that I have the modern day conveniences available.

It is awesome that you have all the notes of the 'oldsters.' I think I got my self-sufficiency bug from my grandmother. It's unfortunate that she wasn't very 'grandmotherly.' I think she didn't really have the patience for us grandkids, or her own kids, because she had so much on her 'to do' list. But, the blood runs deep and I find myself following, at least some of, her trails.

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think I'm a latent self-sufficient person. My husband started bringing it out when we got married 4 years ago. I lived in a zero-lot-line house in the Dallas area, and was considering a condo for LOWER maintenance (wanted free time for hiking, camping and canoeing, hence no yard work). Life conspires against us sometimes, and my father was diagnosed with Alzheimers, so I sold the house, closed my business, moved back to my hometown and moved next door to my parents into my great-grandparents home. I was content to just mow the grass and create a few flower beds, and pick things that "accidentally" grew, like the blackberries and dewberries, pecans, pears and figs, but other than that, I had my hands full with work, elderly parents, fixing up the old farmhouse, etc. Then I met and married my husband and he started nurturing and feeding my desire for more independence from the grocery store and more self-sufficiency. Admittedly, my desire for it was sometimes obtained by wit and wiles as I dragged my heels against change. Now I can't imagine it any other way. Money is tight because I became a stay at home wife for the first time in my life, but I do things the way I do because it is enjoyable and better quality, not just because I can save a penny or a nickel. I enjoy creating things. I enjoy finding "workarounds." There is a lot of satisfaction in fixing something yourself instead of paying a repairman. My father and grandfather were the type who could do, could make anything. If it wasn't made, they could create it. They went through the depression and hard times and if you broke it or wore it out and couldn't fix it, you did without. They didn't have any money, but they had fertile land and animals and they never ever went hungry.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
...and what a wonderful legacy to pass on to your descendants. Bless those men and women who came before us!!! :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am about an hour north of Houston. My family moved to Houston when I was in 3rd grade. When I graduated from high school, I left. I am not made for a big city. Sounds like the three of us are pretty close neighbors! At least we understand the heat/humidity/hurricane/flood issues we share!

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Take back that dirty word! Hurricanes! Bad word! I can live with the heat and humidity, but I hate hurricanes!

Glad to have you both as "neighbors!"

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Jill, I wish you lived closer to me! While I can't hike anymore (nerve damage to my right leg from a car accident), I'd love to have someone closer that was also a stay at home wife that enjoyed canoeing. And, if you horseback ride, I can always come up w/a spare horse.