Hello!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes, chickens can be used to disturb an area and to clear it but they play havoc on diversity if not managed and areas are not protected from their foraging for a time.

this will be the same with any predator species. we really do have to manage our populations if we want a diverse and productive ecology.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hi! :frow joined the sister sites from BYC. Looking forward to learning more from SS :)
You will like it here. We are great enablers. Thanks to SS, I bought a Family Grain Mill, I can now make flour or cornmeal. Freshly milled whole wheat makes yummy bread and growing the corn, then making the cornmeal for cornbread is beyond awesome.

I also bought an All American pressure canner, had never heard of that brand. It is the only pressure canner made in America. It is a thick, heavy, finely machined and crafted piece of equipment. I named mine The Beast. I love The Beast! I canned for nearly 40 years with a canner that I was not wild about, sure wish I had found out about the All American sooner!

My dehydrator is a 9 tray Excalibur, WAAAAY better than the cheapo Walmart thing I did have. I can load it up with 50-ish sliced tomatoes for dehydrated tomatoes. They are great in winter salads or for snacks.

SS is a great site, there is so much to learn!