Help - are these hens or roosters?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
OK, FC, where did you find that information? and do they offer up pics to show what you need to be looking for?

Because, now that I've made all of my chicks feel violated :hide :gig I think I only have one rooster in my brooder, because only one seemed to have something pop out...unless I did it wrong...

My chicks are NOT happy with me. They were all screaming like I was torturing them :rolleyes: Took off running when I dropped them...sigh...

I wonder if this would work for guinea keets..........

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
My understanding is that a person is likely to injure/kill some chicks in the process of learning to vent sex, because of there being an extremely fine line between enough/right pressure and too much/wrong. Just so y'all know what you're getting into.

Also I have read that vent sexing on chicks only works well (even for professionals) on day olds; that once they've started eating and pooing more, the features become less different between sexes. I don't know about adults -- I doubt that any effort has ever been put into vent-sexing half- or fullgrown chickens, simply because other characteristics are much more easily available to tell the gender. Primarily feather shape, except in seriously-hen-feathered breeds/lines.

FC, remember that chickens do not have penises and their testicles are internal, so it is not like sexing mammals (or even ducks, which *do* have a penis)

I recall seeing a pretty good article on vent sexing chicks in MEN, it might be available on their website if you search. (Oh wait, a quick google found it: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1974-05-01/How-to-Sex-Day-Old-Chicks.aspx)

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
OK, FC, where did you find that information? and do they offer up pics to show what you need to be looking for?

Because, now that I've made all of my chicks feel violated :hide :gig I think I only have one rooster in my brooder, because only one seemed to have something pop out...unless I did it wrong...

My chicks are NOT happy with me. They were all screaming like I was torturing them :rolleyes: Took off running when I dropped them...sigh...

I wonder if this would work for guinea keets..........
No this site didn't offer pics. I know if you Google you should find pics of the actual organs etc. Time consuming but if you are attempting to truly learn this method, well worth your time I am sure to research and find pics.

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, I tried to get some body shots today. They aren't great, but it's the best I could do.

Mystery Guest #1
BodyShot1.jpg

Mystery Guest #2
BodyShot2.jpg

Mystery Guest #3
BodyShot3.jpg

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea Pat I know their anatomy but I was wondering if a person could "just turn over a big chicken and see"----LOL-LOL

I never turned one over and tried :ep

I guess not, needs to be done when younger.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Looks like three roosters. Unless one starts laying an egg and says otherwise. :rolleyes: