Help - are these hens or roosters?

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
#1 and #2 definite roo, roo and # 3 hen but wait till it lays or crows

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for your opinions. Believe it or not, a look at my calendar has solved my problem. I've had my LGD females kenneled in one of those portable dog runs because they were in heat, but I just checked the calendar and it's been 3 weeks now so I think they can come out soon. Once they do, I can move that kennel and use it for chickens! I think I'll probably put the black mystery guest in with the flock, since most people think she's a hen and if it turns out we're wrong, he/she/it is big enough to defend itself till I can move it out again.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
First two I'd be shocked if they were not roosters; the third, I can't see the back half clearly enough to have a firm opinion but I'd lean gently towards roo for that one too. (I like the few gold feathers in the otherwise-all-grey color scheme of that one, though, very handsome :))

Pat

warthog

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am new to chickens, have 12 chicks now about 8 weeks old and getting bigger all the time. these are layers.

My supplier sold them as hens and I am sure they are.

I am just curious as to how you tell by just looking at the pictures.

What is it you look for?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm glad most agree with me now. Lol..

I've never been wrong yet, but theres a first time for everything.

With the body shot, could you get a clearer shot of the last one perhaps?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
SheriM said:
Thank you to everyone for your opinions. Believe it or not, a look at my calendar has solved my problem. I've had my LGD females kenneled in one of those portable dog runs because they were in heat, but I just checked the calendar and it's been 3 weeks now so I think they can come out soon. Once they do, I can move that kennel and use it for chickens! I think I'll probably put the black mystery guest in with the flock, since most people think she's a hen and if it turns out we're wrong, he/she/it is big enough to defend itself till I can move it out again.
So are you saying you know they are all hens now?

SheriM

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No, I'm not saying that at all. The concensus seems to be that the black one MIGHT be a hen. It is also the biggest one, so it will have a better chance of defending itself if I'm wrong. What I'm going to do is move the other two that are most likely roos into the empty dog run and if the black one gets picked on too much in the flock, it can go back in with the other two.

Latest posts