HELP!!! I need a recipe for homemade ointment mine is to waxy

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
HELP!!!
I am working on my own ointment and hit a road block . I NEED a recipe to make it LESS was and more ointment but will last a long time. I read oil goes rancid quickly.
Mine has beeswax, parafin and essential oil (tea tree). Obviously I am missing something obviously as it is way to wax and not ointment enough!!!!!

Ceilismom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I use this recipe , in place of vaseline. You've basically got scented wax with the recipe you're using. You need some oil in the mix to soften it up enough to be spreadable. Yes, oil will go rancid eventually, if exposed to heat and microorganisms. If it's kept covered in a cool, dark place, your ointment should keep for months without any problems.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't panic. Just melt down what you have and add some olive oil. Add a little at a time then take a spoon full out and let cool. Check for texture. Add more oil until you get the texture you want. Add a little ascorbic acid (vitm.C) to help preserve. If you feel it will be too weak, add more Tea Tree as you go.
I would not have used paraffin if I had beeswax. This should last at least a year. I've had batches last up to 3 years. *Tip* When it's almost cool (just above room temp) You can take a mixer and whip it. It's harder to put in jars, (and a little messy to do) but you get a creamer product.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you have a blender that will take a mason jar over the blades, you can blend the ointment directly in the jar instead of having to transfer it.