Help me change my style! Bought a couple things!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Those are gorgeous and look incredibly comfortable!
I have no ideas for you but I do understand. I spent most of last summer doing chores around the house and yard in long cotton skirts with tee-shirts on top. I was comfortable but definitely NOT in "style"!!

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have always liked the look of yesteryears ago dresses, skirts, Eastern Indian style, Amish, and religion(s) requiring females to wear modest dresses, and skirts.

You'd never know though, since I do not know how to sew. I DON'T like to shop for my clothes, rarely do I go shopping. I am not in style.

My everyday wear are pants and guys t-shirts, tennis shoes.

I am so bored of this way of dressing!

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I also always have admired the way others dress, like the Amish, Indian, and many more. I also like the way our frontier women dressed also. I too am one of those without style so to speak. Mens t-shirts, jeans, and always tennis shoes or boots. I have always thought about changing my style, but I believe others around me would die from shock to see me in anything other than my usual attire. :lol:

I do think BB that the Indian attire would suit you well,..with the long tunic and flared pants. Very flattering look I think. :)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
I also always have admired the way others dress, like the Amish, Indian, and many more. I also like the way our frontier women dressed also. I too am one of those without style so to speak. Mens t-shirts, jeans, and always tennis shoes or boots. I have always thought about changing my style, but I believe others around me would die from shock to see me in anything other than my usual attire. :lol:

I do think BB that the Indian attire would suit you well,..with the long tunic and flared pants. Very flattering look I think. :)
:) I'm afraid the long tunic might not be the best choice. Cost is one. I have never seen one at a thrift store, and the material needed to make a nice one would be even more :(

Wow! Those of you longing to wear a skirt now and then should just do it! Who cares what others think! Just choose a style that is a bit trendy though, unless you do join a prescribed group.
It will save you a bit if frustration.

They are actually warmer in winter with a legging added, then just a pair of pants, and WAY cooler in hot weather.
Just wear a pair of bike shorts underneath to prevent chafing.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
My style requires me to quit growing and start sewing *rolls eyes*

I have all the patterns ready. Fabrics bought. Just... waiting.

BTW, loving this thread :D

I wear long skirts and either a tiny top or a flowing top, depending on mood and weather.

I want to do a Victorian-lolita-asian fusion thing. I'll have to scan my pattern designs at some point because I don't know how to describe clothing at ALL. I can only picture it and sketch it.

I own ONE pair of pants. Fatigues a few sizes to big two years ago and now only a little too big. LOL. Otherwise, lots of skirts!!!

And jammie pants :p

For me, it's all about the lines, and finding the right lines for your shape. Like, Auntie and I both dress that works for our bodies and nothing alike the other LOL. I'm actually really good at looking at a person and finding things that will make them look great.

I get annoyed when I see people wearing the completely wrong clothing for their bodies.

Bubblingbrooks... what about leggings or jeans under full skirt dresses?

100_9276_001.JPG=600

a340f9ce002f1be7e8f917209afc2428.image.300x476.jpg

Oooooo lookie what I found!! http://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/index.php

You can do jeans/leggings and a t-shirt and toss a skirt over it too. All kinds of options!

I like what Auntie posted too!

b049271b7ecc7964046adfbaae2c936e.image.318x750.jpg

asianfashasdaPA_450x400.jpg

My Imooto is into sundresses. :) We're going to make a few for her this spring. Yellow linen, she says. I have patterns.

sundress.jpg

sundress.jpg

ETA: Feel free to hit me up for patterns. I can get your measurements, sketch it up, and send it to you.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
:) I'm afraid the long tunic might not be the best choice. Cost is one. I have never seen one at a thrift store, and the material needed to make a nice one would be even more :(
Not really. Easy to make and you can pick less expensive material.

While silk IS the best to sew ANYTHING in... LOL...

You can do a nice cotton :) Just wait for a good coupon to Joann's!

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The tunics are nice, and WOW! Abie!!! I love those dresses! I wish I could sew and was bold enough to wear something like that! :hide Around here,..:duc
Anyway,..BB I have found PILES of fabric at our local thrift store. A good pattern and the knowledge to sew,....I could only imagine!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Sewing is so easy even I can do it. :lol:

Start really simple.

A skirt is a long rectangle gathered onto a waist, or just folded over and a tie threaded in :)

If you google "simple sewing pattern" you can find lots of stuff.

Or the "sew easy" at fabric stores really ARE easy patterns.

Burda is great. Butterick is usually easy, but not guaranteed.

Vogue starts getting complex. McCalls is hit or miss.

I suggest going through random patterns and just post ones you like and get advice on how to do it cheap :D