HELP my 1st Pig

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She would not let me weigh her... I was afraid I was going to drop her when I picked her up from her thrashing and squealing. We even tossed a blanket over her head,nothing doing. She is A LOT stronger then when I picked her up last weekend A LOT.

I do know one thing though that oinker is one solid animal, no give what's so ever... Solid like a tree trunk.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's why you don't want to hit a hog with your car. They are brick solid, they roll under the vehicle and do a lot of damage.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well we got a pretty good estimate of 90 lbs. Which is a good heaping 1/2 cup of wormer. No wonder I thought I was going to drop her with her trashing and squealing. 90 lbs of thrashing animal is a bit much to control. It took two of us to pick her up facing each other with our hands underneath her, then we walked over to the scale and I stood on it. I subtracted my weigh and that's how we got a pretty good estimate of 90 lbs.

I gave her, her first dose late this afternoon after we did the math. She'll get 2 more doses one Monday & one Tuesday then she'll be done and hopefully worm free.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's why you don't want to hit a hog with your car. They are brick solid, they roll under the vehicle and do a lot of damage.

I suspect your right - hitting a pig with a car would do a lot of damage. One of my other daughter in laws was over yesterday and seen Miss Pork Chop for the first time.."She's so cute!" What's up with that? It's a pig after all...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Miss Pork Chop - with white nasty stuff hanging out both sides of her mouth. But she's so cute - not!

She has most definitely put on a little weight since I picked her up though. This evening is the last day for her dewormer - \o/

IMG_20171003_120318288.jpg

IMG_20171003_120311758_TOP.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OMG! UH OH! So, do you think Mr. Porkchop is a full MR - or is he maybe an "it"?

I think it's a little harder to tell on Potbelly pigs than farm pigs.

https://www.cppa4pigs.org/male-or-female-2.html

Of course, if it's a male it might make it a little easier to decide to make freezer fodder out of him... or just buy him a girlfriend and make itty bitty piggies.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh.... That's interesting.... Does he appear to be intact? Makes "Miss" Pork Chop less fun to keep around, that's for sure.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well all the more reason he was dumped in the middle of nowhere. So.... Now I believe he might actually be eaten.... Unless you want to find him a girlfriend?