HELP my 1st Pig

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well all the more reason he was dumped in the middle of nowhere. So.... Now I believe he might actually be eaten.... Unless you want to find him a girlfriend?

No girlfriends -:lol but honestly I'm going to be looking for a few feeders early this spring, I think I'm hooked and haven't even tasted the meat yet.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah he's definitely a pot belly. I guess he could have something else crossed in there, but mostly pot belly. They are called "mini" pigs but they get to 200-300 lbs. Which is mini compared to full size hogs who will hit 800+

Probably looked pregnant due to his breed and possible worm load. Does he look any thinner in the belly now that you've started deworming him?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah he's definitely a pot belly. I guess he could have something else crossed in there, but mostly pot belly. They are called "mini" pigs but they get to 200-300 lbs. Which is mini compared to full size hogs who will hit 800+

Probably looked pregnant due to his breed and possible worm load. Does he look any thinner in the belly now that you've started deworming him?

Yes he belly looks thinner for sure but I can tell he's put on some weight though. He'll probably be a December butcher I'm suspecting. Should be nice and cool in December here in southern IL

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just don't feed him too much, pot bellies get fat and greasy if you overfeed them. December, that'll give time for the dewormer to be out of his system, so perfect.

Butchering is so over before December here. Unless you want things to freeze while you're working!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just don't feed him too much, pot bellies get fat and greasy if you overfeed them. December, that'll give time for the dewormer to be out of his system, so perfect.

Butchering is so over before December here. Unless you want things to freeze while you're working!

Thanks I feed him twice a day about 2 cups of swine pellets 16% protien once in the morning and once in the evening. If I don't feed him in the evening he's up all night walking the fence snorting and squealing.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My friend has a several yr old potbelly male ... she took in from someone who "needed" to get rid of animals. Anyway, young & about 60#. She was told he wouldn't "get much bigger". RIGHT!!

At least 5 yrs now, he's at least 300# and she has the vet come to cut tusks about once a yr & farrier does his feet on occasion. Totally spoiled, comes when called, very tame. She says "NO MORE". LOL I told her that day one.

Piglets are adorably cute!! But, for me, only types for slaughter.
I did have a huge Duroc once, he'd follow me anywhere. Loved to get out of his pen and roll into a hole in the driveway. Yep, call him and he'd come along talking the whole way -- one day, right onto a trailer to the butcher! :hide All 500 #s of him!

I liked my AGHs so far as handling and personality. Really did. The meat has been very, very good.

Maybe change from "Miss Pork Chop" to "Chopper". If the kids want a little playmate, get a Juliana pot belly. They stay far smaller.