Help what do I do with all this zucchini ?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
"Hash browns" out of zucchini! I'll definitely have to try that! Sounds like a recipe my diabetic husband could have! Thanks ~gd!

Hinotori, do you add egg or breadcrumbs or any other binders?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've mixed in egg before, sometimes it needs it. Usually once most of the water is drained off it sticks together very well. I've never gotten it to work right with the fresh zucchini.

I love sprinkling a bit of nutritional yeast on top.

Growing up everyone in my family would slice up the zucchini, dip it in egg, fry it, then sprinkle the yeast on top. It's comfort food for me and I always have to make some each year.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
~gd said:
Hinotori said:
I like shredded frozen zucchini for making patties to fry. When I thaw out the squash so much water comes out of it, that it makes it much easier to mush together for the patties. I have no idea why people make fake hamburgers. The zucchini patties taste much, much better, have no chemicals, and aren't pretentious.
Most of the people that use fake hamburgers do so for the protien which zucchini just don't have. I use zucchini for hash browns because they have less carbs than potatoe. I like to add some chopped onion to either because I just love onions.~gd
This is true. A lot of people think soy is the go to for protein.

I try to limit my soy intake. It makes me very sick. If I went vegetarian, there are much better choices for protein than soy. Heck we probably eat to much protein from veggies in this house even. We eat a lot of quinoa and legumes as a side dish. And we eat a lot of eggs. Even the dogs get eggs regularly. We rarely have chicken as I don't hatch or get very many new birds each year and they are worth more to me laying eggs that we sell.

Oh, another way we eat the summer squash.

Slice longways, oil then salt lightly. Put on grill until done. I can be happy with just that that for a meal.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
1) Carefully place a dozen or more zucchini in a large, sturdy black plastic trash bag, then add a couple layers of unwanted clothing. Drive to nearest Goodwill or Salvation Army, hand over bag to nearest volunteer. Politely refuse any offered receipt. Leave quickly.

2) Look for out of the way places which have signs posted, "Clean Fill Wanted."

3) Reserve 1/2 of the space in large, upright freezer, gather all available plastic containers & freezer bags. Drink a vat of your favorite caffinated beverage, in preparation for staying up round the clock to puree large quantities of zucchini. This can then be packaged neatly and artistically labeled: "For Zucchini Nut Bread Recipe." These packages can be freely given, along with copies of recipe, to anyone on your Christmas list.

4) Under light of full moon, either stark naked or wearing full army camouflage, carrying a machete or any garden implement, run amuck in your zucchini patch, cutting and slashing. Be sure to thank mother nature for her bounty before and after this cathartic experience.

5) Buy a large roll of freezer paper--the kind that sub shops use to, you know, wrap up their subs & other sandwiches. Then proceed to wrap each zucchini which has managed to grow to a foot or more in length. Next time your child has a fundraiser, send him or her out supplied with these phoney subs. Tell child to drop them off with neighbors or relatives and leave quickly. It's advisable that a responsible adult hover nearby in a get-away car.

DeniseCharleson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Britesea said:
1) .........
2) ..............
3) .............
4) .............
5) ............
Good suggestions, all. I'm sure ours is not the only area of the country in which mid- to late-summer is the only time residents routinely lock their car doors when parking. It is to keep people from leaving sacks of zucchini on the back seat.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :gig

GD, your hash browns sound good. I'm going to try them as well.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wish you lived near me! I would take all of it. We make the zucchini candy with it. The kids run out and grab a chini and flying into the house MOM make worms!!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not fond of zucchini bread, and DH doesn't really like it in any form, though grilled isn't too frowned upon. Summer squash in general is too watery to be pleasing to him. My very favorite zucchini recipe is from the 1953 edition of Joy of Cooking - though I hardly ever make it because DH doesn't eat cheese (poor, deluded man :rolleyes:). Now that I have been reminded I think I will make it anyway, just for me.

3 medium sized zucchini, cut in small-ish chunks, and simmered in a little water till tender, and drained well
1/4 c. sour or sweet cream (I always used sour; recipe says to add 1 Tbls lemon juice, if using sweet)
1 Tbls butter
1 Tbls grated cheese (I'm sure I used more)
Pinch of salt
1/8 tsp paprika
1 egg yolk, beaten
1 Tbls chopped chives
Bread crumbs, butter, more grated cheese

Combine the cream, butter, cheese, salt and paprika in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat till cheese is melted. Remove from heat, and stir in the egg yolk and chives. Add the zucchini, and pour everything into a baking dish. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over, dot with butter, sprinkle with grated cheese, and brown in a 375* oven, or under the broiler. Makes about 4 servings.

I remember several people telling me that they didn't like zucchini, but really liked this dish. I think that now I would add more herbs/seasonings. "Joy" didn't use much of those back in the '50s.