hen stopped laying

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I used frozen eggs all the time...but if they are cracked I thorw them to the dogs. I get concerned about cracked eggs and bacteria

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
To the orginal question, I think she probably just stopped laying due to the shorter days.

My easter eggers are still laying an egg a day but I know that some of the other breeds are only laying every other day.
I notice it seems to go in cycles, I will get 16 eggs a day from 20 layers for days and then there will be a couple of days where it drops down to half of that and then they go back to laying full force again.
I have some that just went into lay and I didn't think they would start laying until spring since they came of age during the winter.
I will have around 45 laying hens by spring though so I am gearing up for that.
Been stocking up on egg cartons.

I have the funniest looking mix right now, I guess they are called sizzles and frizzles. They are a cross between cochins and silkies and you can't help but laugh when you look at them.
Those are my only lawn ornaments, the rest are working girls.

I got the most gorgeous pair of birds yesterday from the New England Poultry Congress.
They are Blue laced red wyandottes, I have been searching for some high quality hens for a while but had the chance to buy this beautiful pair yesterday.
The mother of the hen was in the show and she won for her breed so I am very excited about getting such high quality birds.
I hadn't originally planned on breeding anything, just wanted layers but not that I have some Black Copper Marans and these BLRW, I am going to breed them.
I don't plan on getting deeply involved in that whole thing though, just breed some nice birds for me and some friends.

The frozen eggs, I was wondering about that. I collect them enough that they don't freeze in the coop but I left some out in the carriage house the other day by accident.
I collected the eggs and stopped in the carriage house and put them down and forgot about them.
By the time I remembered them they were frozen and had cracked open.
I let the dogs have them.

By the way, I bought a cookbook yesterday at the poultry show and there us a recipe in there for pickled eggs and beets.
The eggs look so pretty because they absorb the beet juice.
If anyone wants the recipe I'll post it.

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Many of my eggs have been cracked lately, I think from the cold. I'm too cheap to toss them out, so as long as the membrane is intact, I've been boiling them up right away for egg salad. We're still alive at the moment...

As for my EE, still no eggs.

inchy

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If the membrane is intact, you should be fine. When in doubt, feed it to your dog :D

After a week or so of using a 18v Ryobi flashlight with a rechargeable battery pack as a "nite lite"... I HAVE EGGS!

One yesterday, one today.

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
As an update, my lovely EE has started laying her pretty green eggs again! When she stops laying again in Dec. 2009, everyone needs to remind me that it's ok - she'll start again in late February!

Inchworm

Latest posts