Hen23's Journal~Goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Back from baseball. Kiddo stayed home. :( One mom told me both scarlet fever and 5th disease are going around. His temperature is at 99.6, his head hurts and his throat hurts, but nothing that is keeping him from playing around the house and eating. I don't know it it's time to call the doctor or not yet. My mom is going to watch him again tomorrow. I kind of hate that he's missing so much school, then again..... I was counting the days left with the whackado teacher. :/
Dishwasher is in and running. It is soooo much quieter than the old one. :cool:
No progress on the goat accomodations. I think we're expecting rain. They may not be coming home this weekend after all. Maybe Monday afternoon? I kind of want to be home with them most of the weekend to see how they do, rather than bring them home and then head off to work. :(

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
5th disease...Hmmm, thats the second time this week I have heard that. So, I did a search...ok, NOW I know what it is...slapped face disease. My neighbor came over a few days ago, and said she and her girls had it.
So sorry about the goat accomodations. Hope you get a chance to get something ready for them by Friday...so you can be with them over the weekend. I can't waite to see pics!!!! Hopeing to get our hog pen done in a few weeks....now to look for a few piggies! ;) We have to waite untill the septic guy finishes the finger system and the roofers finish the roof! :rolleyes: Im ready for NO CONTRACTORS!
Make sure when you get those babies home, we get PLENTY pics! ;)
Oh, and congrats on the dishwasher...I wish we had one.:/

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Thanks. It was nice to unload sparkling dishes this morning instead of having to rewash everything. Now DH can move back to goat fencing! ;)
DS's temp was 100.7 when he was still in bed but dropped once he was up and out of his stuffy room. He's fairly chipper but didn't ask to go to school. His throat is still red. He doesn't have that slapped face look so I don't thnk it's 5th disease. I think he would feel a lot worse if he had Scarlet fever. He is at my mom's house now.
We may have some showers today but at least the temperatures are down. Supposedly CT had the highest temperature in the country yesterday??? 99 degrees! We broke all the records for May. We woke to a spectacular thunderstorm at some point during the night. It was like fireworks, the flashes were so rapid. Didn't have to water the container garden this morning. :)
So we will work on the fencing this afternoon. I can attach wire to the posts while DH continues to put posts in. I think he has 7 to go. THen he has to build a gate. We'll get the door in too probably and at least plan the dividing wall. I will clear room in the shed for hay and straw as well as a feed barrel. I need to get chicken food this afternoon so I will look for a small hay rack while I'm at TSC. My best hope at this point is that we will finish up Saturday and be able to get them Sunday morning. Church school is finished for the year so we may miss church and get them then if the vet is available. That would give us all day Sunday and Monday with them and one night before going back to work.
13 days left including today!!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
Supposedly CT had the highest temperature in the country yesterday??? 99 degrees! We broke all the records for May.
Wow that is pretty warm for May!! Hopefully the temps won't be like that all summer.

Hope the kiddo feels better today. :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hope your son is feeling better today. I must say there are some funky bugs going around right now. I am keeping my fingers crossed we don't end up with one. :fl

Sounds like you are making progress on the fence. Oh, and congrats on the dishwasher. :clap

I hope the weather cools off a bit for you.

gina

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It can't be too bad if he's not moping around, I'd say either of those would make him feel like poopy. Hope he gets better soon!
Ick! Nasty hot for May.
I think it only got up around 90 here, 80%+ humidity though.
Goats! :weee

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Thanks, he seems to be doing much better according to my mom. His temperature is normal at this point. I asked him if he was ready to go back to school tomorrow and he said, no thanks. I told him he only has 12 days left and he said, "Oh, okay, what the heck." :rolleyes: I think he's pretty much done..... like most of my students.
One more student today and I'll have one regular Thursday here at the high school. :woot

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
I need to get chicken food this afternoon so I will look for a small hay rack while I'm at TSC.
The metal racks you can buy make me nervous. I've had a goat stuck in a hay rack and there is no way you can take apart a one-piece metal one...but you can quickly take a board off a wooden one. They are very simple to build with firring or lath and a few scraps of bigger wood. You may be re-designing it a few times until you find what works for your hay-wasters....I mean lovely, sweet goaties!

A scrap of fencing, framed with scraps of wood, works, too.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Henrietta23 said:
I need to get chicken food this afternoon so I will look for a small hay rack while I'm at TSC.
The metal racks you can buy make me nervous. I've had a goat stuck in a hay rack and there is no way you can take apart a one-piece metal one...but you can quickly take a board off a wooden one. They are very simple to build with firring or lath and a few scraps of bigger wood. You may be re-designing it a few times until you find what works for your hay-wasters....I mean lovely, sweet goaties!

A scrap of fencing, framed with scraps of wood, works, too.
Good to know! Will do that instead. I was going to stop this afternoon but I won't now. We'll design one and head to Home Depot if DH doesn't have scrap wood we can use. We have to get wood for the wall anyway.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I totally stole my hay idea from you, Free. I had a plastic trash can lid left over from a rain barrel, so I fastened it with bungee cords to the fence (2" chain link) and fill it by bending the top back. Very similar to your sled feeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.