Hen23's Journal~Goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
October 23
Back in 6th grade. They had two "specials" this morning so it was a light day before lunch, which is at 10:47-ouch! Too early!
After lunch I taught the same Social Studies lessons to three classes with recess in between. The first class went well. The second would have but I have one boy who just couldn't stop whispering to his neighbors or stay on task with their assignment. I moved him so he was closer to me but then he got mad and refused to work at all. At least he had stopped distracting everyone around him. At recess I mentioned his behavior to his homeroom teacher. She nodded and said, "Yup, he stayed at dad's house last night and probably didn't get his ADHD meds." Sigh. Well, at least it wasn't ME. I wrote the teacher I was in for a quick note asking him to check in with the other teacher about what happened.
My last class went fine, in fact the principal walked in to ask me a question and caught the class listening intently as I explained their assignment. Love it!
Then most kids weren't in study hall at the end of the day because they had either left for a soccer game or were in band practice. Came home and my son was already doing his homework! Woohoo! A quick dinner of sandwiches and salad and here I sit researching Cub Scout resources on line while DH and DS clean the basement. DH is going to have to replace the belt on our dryer. I can't do laundry tonight. Boohoo! I AM counting my blessings that it's a cheap easy fix that DH can do tomorrow once he gets the part. It should be sunny enough that I can do a load in the morning and hang it on the clothesline.
Oh and the Superintendent's office had my paycheck ready before I left so I don't have to wait for it to be mailed or drive up to get it tomorrow if I don't work. So far I am not.
Fun excitement being a substitute, I know!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Here is a MONSTER list of potential questions with a monster list of boring answers

01. Name? Kristin
02. Gender? female
03. Disneyworld or Disneyland? Been to Disneyland
04. What is your favorite color? green
05. What is your favorite kind of gum? Bazooka with real sugar
06. How much do you weigh? Oh please! More than I should
07. How tall are you? 5'9"
08. Can you swim?Yes
09. Do you like to swim?No
10. Living arrangement?married, one 6 year old son
11. What's on your mouse pad? a wrist pad and the mouse
12. Favorite board game? Clue
13. Favorite magazine? Kiwi
14. Favorite Actor? Sean Connery
15. Favorite Actress? Julia Roberts
16. Do you have an accent? basic New England
17. Favorite smells? warm garden soil, baking bread
18. Least favorite smells? too many to list!
19. Favorite sound? my son giggling
20. Do you prefer pools or oceans? ocean to look at, pool to swim in
21. Do you watch Buffy The Vampire Slayer? never
22. Pencil or pen? pen most of the time
23. Who's better - boys or girls? depends on the situation
24. Would you like to own a motorcycle? nope, but I'd love a scooter
25. Do you sing in the shower? no, just in the car
26. Who's the best looking Disney character? no clue, unless Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow counts
27. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning? shower
28. How many rings before you answer the phone? depends on caller id, usually let it go to voice mail unless
29. How do you want to die? without being aware I'm doing it!
30. Have you ever called a 900 number? nope
31. Gold or silver? silver
32. Would you ever go bungee-jumping? NO
33. Do you like dressing up? not really
34. Would you rather be short or tall? I'd have said short when I was a kid, I'm content now
35. Do you enjoy reading? LOVE it!
36. What book are you reading now? Cure for the Common Life
37. Favorite books? too many
38. What was the last movie you saw? Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
39. Favorite movies? The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming
40. Do you sleep with a stuffed animal? a 70lb lab/dobie cross
41. What is your sign? I was asked this in a bar once. My answer was "no vacancy"
42. What are your personality traits? shy, introverted, silly, um...
43. What's your biggest fear? something happening to my family
44. Would you ever have cosmetic surgery? probably not
45. Future child's name? none in the plans
46. Favorite foods? cheese and chocolate
47. Chocolate or vanilla? chocolate
48. Do you like to drive fast? If I'm driving our Jetta TDI yes, in my 1994 Volvo wagon, not so much
49. Storms - cool or scary? cool if I'm inside and safe
50. Do you like to dance? Hate it
51. Do you do drugs? no
52. Do you smoke? never
53. What do you think of people who smoke? I'm not judgmental about it. I prefer not to be around smoke though
54. Do you drink? rarely
55. Favorite drink? A good local beer
56. Do you think men and women could ever be just friends without wanting each other? absolutely
57. Do you eat the stems of broccoli? gag
58. If you could have any job you wanted, what would it be? teacher with a hobby farm
59. What's your "type"? of what?
60. Do you bite your nails? no
61. Any siblings? younger brother
62. What movies have you cried in? almost everyone I've ever seen
63. Do you believe in God? Yes
64. Did you ever cry over a guy/girl? yes when I was younger
65. Have you ever stolen anything? a box of Fruit Loops when I was 3
66. Do you procrastinate? yes (I was going to say, "I'll get back to you on that", but someone beat me to it. Which in a way makes me a better procrastinator!)
67. Do you believe in fate? kind of
68. Who's your favorite Sesame Street character? Grover!!!
69. Do you organize your CD's? not really
70. What is your favorite kind of music? 80s
71. What are your favorite bands/artists? Styx, the Police
72. What was the last CD you got? um.......
73. MTV or VH1? in the 80s MTV handsdown, now-neither
74. Who do you admire the most? my friend KC
75. Internet Boyfriends and Girlfriends? as in romantic? no
76. Are you single? no
77. Favorite TV show? Antiques Roadshow
78. Blondes, Brunettes, or Redheads? doesn't matter
79. Glasses or contacts? I should wear bifocals but I rarely do
80. What color are your eyes? green with some golden brown
81. What is your natural hair color? light brown
82. But what color is it now? light brown with highlights (to hide the gray)
83. Have you ever been in love? yes
84. Any pets? hahaha
85. Good, decent, or poor grades? decent, not what I was capable of. I've taken a few classes in the past 10 years and did very well
86. Is the glass half empty or half full? half full
87. Do you type with your fingers on the right keys? 8 of them, yes. I don't use my pinkies
88. What's under your bed? out of season clothes, dust bunnies and possibly a cat
89. What is your favorite number? 23
90. Favorite sport to watch? hockey

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Yeah, Kristen, you did the monster list!

I'm finding there are alot of Sean Connery fans. I like his later stuff, not as James Bond.

One of my BFs was a sub. Five years ago she went back to school and got her degree. This year she is teaching 5th grade.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
punkin said:
Yeah, Kristen, you did the monster list!

I'm finding there are alot of Sean Connery fans. I like his later stuff, not as James Bond.

One of my BFs was a sub. Five years ago she went back to school and got her degree. This year she is teaching 5th grade.
Ah my dream job! I love 5th grade. I'll figure out how to make it work one of these days! :cool:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi H23
I enjoyed reading about your subbing and such. Great to learn about people here!!!!
You did the monster list? To shame with me, I must do it still...LOL

have a great night! :)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Hi H23
I enjoyed reading about your subbing and such. Great to learn about people here!!!!
You did the monster list? To shame with me, I must do it still...LOL

have a great night! :)
Thanks, it goes much faster than you might think. Well, until you get a question you have to think about a little. :)

No subbing for me today. I am depositing my paycheck and headed out to the Boy Scout store to find a copy of the the Cub Scout Leader Handbook and a tee-shirt. I am not ready to buy the full uniform shirt. Ugh. It was over $70 to outfit the kid and now we have to do me too?? I've got a "watch" on Ebay for the shirt and I keep checking other places to see if I can get it used. No luck so far. At least not in my size.
My son asked if I could drive him to school this morning. He got in trouble yesterday for kissing his friend Isabella. Sigh. 6 years old. The teacher is pretty sure that Bella asked him to, but he's the one who got caught so he's the one whose clothespin got moved to blue. Then he was tickling another girl later on. When do they figure out that girls have cooties?

Aaaaaahhh! I'm screaming here. Our dryer needs a belt replaced which DH is going to take care of after work. So here I am thinking, no big deal. I'll do a load of laundry and hang it out since it's going to be 60 degrees and dry. NO! He's got the dryer pulled out in front of the washer so that he can get the model # etc. off the machine and he LEFT IT THERE!!! I can't move it myself. I was so ready to make use of my day off. Now I'll have to clean out the bathroom closet or something. Ick.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Your son is lucky that all they did was give him a blue clothespin. Some would have screamed "sexual harrassment". Can you imagine that at 6 years old?

Good luck on finding the cub scout stuff.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
punkin said:
Your son is lucky that all they did was give him a blue clothespin. Some would have screamed "sexual harrassment". Can you imagine that at 6 years old?

Good luck on finding the cub scout stuff.
Thanks. I found the handbook but they didn't have the tee-shirt I wanted in my size. I'll have to order it. It was a nice drive and I took my mom who then took me out for sushi. Mmmm!
The kissing thing-yeah-it could've been a huge deal in other schools I've worked in. These two are friends. She probably asked him to do it. She wasn't upset. We know her parents well. His teacher understands that he was a. pressured into by the girl and b. not really taught these limits at school in the past. Our rule at home is kissing is for family only. He had a lapse in judgment. There was a consequence and hopefully he learned. We did some role playing last night about what to do and say if one of the girls or anyone asked him to kiss them. I think we're good! He's struggling a little to make new friends after being with the same group elsewhere for three years. It shouldn't be this hard to be 6. And so many kids have it so much worse!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
H23, tell that boy of yours that girls will get him in trouble. LOL Not just now but later too.

It really is sad that kids have so much going on at schools these days. And with so many rules it has to be tough.

I understand why the rules are there but I so often wonder how we made it thru school without all these rules. But then again, knives, guns, sexual harrasment, and all that stuff just did not seem to happen when I was growing up. Either that or it was not enough to create a problem. My parents biggest concerns when I started school was my questions about the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
LOL we did tell him that he had to be the one to say no!
He had a much better day as far as keeping his hands and lips to himself were concerned HOWEVER.....
I picked him up early like I do every Friday to go to gymnastics. We were walking down the hall and a woman said to him, "Are you doing better now?" Alex looked down and mumbled yes, which is not like him. I asked him what that was all about once we were in the car. This is his version and the only one I have. He was "fooling around" at lunch, meaning being silly and not eating. He didn't stop when warned and was moved to another table with a different first grade class, apparently by the woman we saw in the hallway. That class kept telling him to go back to his own class until he finally got sick of listening to them and he did just that, only to have the lunch duty woman get even more upset with him. He says he tried to explain why he had moved back. She "put him on the wall" for half of recess as a consequence, meaning he had to stand against the wall for half of a 15 minute recess. I'm furious! I'm sure he WAS fooling around and I accept that he should be moved to the other table. However I don't think it was fair to punish him with losing half of his already too short recess for moving back if the other kids were bugging him, in part because he's only been in public school for 40 stinking days! I didn't like the woman's attitude when she spoke to him. She had no idea who I was and didn't even acknowledge me. I hate that schools use recess as a punishment. Let's think about this. Here is an active young boy who has been sitting and working for 2 and a half hours and he's at lunch and he's wiggling around and being silly. I'm all for enforcing lunch room rules. I've worked as a paraprofessional and sub, and done too many lunch duties, too many years to think that kids should be able to get out of hand at lunch. But the fact that he's wiggly and silly means he probably needs every single one of those 15 minutes of recess to run around and let off some steam. Give him a consequence for misbehaving at lunch, sure. Take away recess-stupid! Not only are they punishing him, they're punishing his teacher who now has to put up with him and his pent up energy for the rest of the afternoon. grrrrrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.