HennyPenny's random thoughts. New set of goals!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I dunno. I can handle the freezing and feet of snow, and even the flooding, but I'm just not into this whole extended drought and extreme heat gig. :p

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
FF where did you live when you had to survive w/o a.c.?
Here in the good old MIDWEST! We were just poor living in a little old house with a bunch of fans!

My grandma had an air conditioner at our families lake cabin however when I was still a kid and used to CRANK it up! We would go swimming and come in from lunch still damp then FREEZE to the chair 'cause Grandma had that AC so COLD!

I would always prefer to be hot over cold.

I have cars with AC but NEVER use it. I have a house with central AC that has not been on in two years. When we did use it, it was only when temps were 90 degrees or above or nights did not fall below 80. I have only a little window unit in one room that is used with any regularity and then only when the temp really hot. Even then I prefer to sleep with only a fan.

After a while you just get used to the heat AND the humidity.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I think it is better to get accustomed to the climate than to try to avoid it. But I guess I am stubborn like that. Once I adjust to the hottest day in the summer, the rest usually feels like a breeze, which is nice because then I can work hard in the heat and not even care. I just don't like the build-up period to the high temperatures, because my body does suffer more than most other people's.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When I've traveled to hot places that had air conditioning, I was always way cold too! I was in Japan, in between the rainy season, and the hot season. Can you say typhoon? Anyway, each room in my host family's house had a separate unit over the door, with a remote. I swear they kept it set at 60 degrees. TOO COLD! Same when I went to New York state. (Near Rochester) Humid outside, and a freezer inside. No wonder they were complaining about their electric bill!

I'm certainly not one of those who ran for an AC unit. My fans are just fine. Yeah, between the the fans and my complaining, I'm doing okay!

Bellingham is amazingly hippie-ish, BBH. We have a Wednesday and Saturday farmer's market, and they are both PACKED. Someone was commenting that their market was slow this year. Ours was so busy and fun, and I haven't had time to get back! I need eggs, and refuse to buy from the store. I know of some places waaaay out in the county, and I will certainly get lost trying to find them.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
There is at least one BYC member from Bellingham. I can't remember her screen name, though. I was just thinking it would be fun to meet up with a BYC member to get your eggs, HennyPenny!

Complaining definitely takes the edge off the heat! :D But I will tell you, I would much rather ride the heat out in Bellingham than in south Puget Sound. :p Whenever I hear the current temps in Bellingham, I get jealous!

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, we missed the 100+ temps. We did set a new record of 96 for Bellingham.

I just got a recorded phone call saying that we now have mandatory water restrictions. NO watering of lawns or landscaping. Minimal watering of vegetable gardens is allowed. Just was implemented two hours ago. Okay, allow me this.

Bwahahahahahaha! :lol: :lol: :gig

All my neighbors who have insisted on keeping their precious lawns bright green, ALL YOUR WORK IS FOR NOTHING! Since we're not supposed to get rain until NEXT Friday (not tomorrow) your lawn will be as sad and dry as mine!

High levels of algae in the raw water coming from Lake Whatcom is impacting the citys ability to provide water to residents, businesses and critical facilities, while still maintaining water reserves required for fire flow and emergency services. The quality of the drinking water has not been comprised and continues to meet all state and federal regulations.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
How much you wanna bet people will cheat and try to keep their lawns green?

Really? They think it will rain in the long-range forecast? Or would that be drizzle?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
When I moved to Texas from Ohio, I had a car without a/c. My new friends thought I was nuts. But the car got good mileage, was completely paid for - and because I was raised in Ohio -

I knew how to roll down the windows! When going 70 down the tollway, there was a great breeze! :lol: :gig

ETA - stay hydrated, hp!

jessejames

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
being a chef for years you really learn about HEAT
i opened a gourmet pizza palce with a woodfired oven that was prob the worst it would get well over 100 in there after about noon on hot days in SPRING in summer it was crazy. we used to do weigh in and outs at the begining and ends of our shifts the recor being for a larger man was 16 lbs lost ocer a 13 hour shift.(this guy would gain it all back in beer everynight too) and little ole me (150# 6" soaking wet) could lose up to 5 lbs a shift.
i soo dont miss that kinda heat
something i picked up that really helped me out was to rink hot water like for tea but just with lemon also eating spicy food helps too i think it has to do with raising your bodies temp to eal with the heat better.
i still drink hot water all day if i can usually in form of tea but if its a real stinker out i go for just the H20 and lemon
it works for me
that and light flowing clothing to keep your skinned covered and air moving around it and your body as you move
i am sooo glad i am not living on the left colast this summer
though i would like a little heat and sun for my maters (looks like im gonna get it this weekend(fingers crossed))
be well

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
JesseJames- Just hearing about that kind of heat hurts a little! I'd be so dead. I walked into a Starbucks which apparently had no AC and immediately could feel sweat roll down my back. Bleck.

Well, I used to have a forum which I could read (and occasionally post to) about toenail fungus. It seems to be entirely taken over by some new posters which I don't agree with. One is really really into treating with lasers. Well that's fine and dandy, but first, it's expensive, and second, it sounds a bit iffy scammy to me. Plus when I posted my routine that I do for my nails, this one replied telling me that I didn't need to do the Tea Tree Oil and the Olive Leaf capsules, saying that they "do the same thing." Btw, I think those capsules give me more energy, thanks whoever told me! Anyway, I don't agree, but this person claims to treat nails professionally, so heaven forbid I disagree.

So I might just occasionally post about them here. After all, I'm being self sufficient by treating them myself, right?