HennyPenny's random thoughts. New set of goals!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
hennypenny9, yes it is, and can be painfull at times. I've had it for years now. I hate closed toe shoes, I love going barefoot or in sandals. Sometimes I put nailpolish on, when I want to get dressed up a bit and wear sandals. But I have to make sure I take it off right away, or the fungus gets worse real quick and hurts.
Fortunately no one cares what I wear in the back yard :lol:

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey henny, you are not alone in feeling like your house is holding you back...i am right there with you!

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dace- It's icky since at home, where I grew up, I'd go and sit on the porch on the swing, with the dog... Probably listen to the frogs for a while. After shutting in the chickens, of course. Now... Well if I went out back the neighbor's tiny rat-dogs would bark incessantly until the owner comes out to yell at them, and stare at me. If I go out front, every car's headlights will point at me. I know, I know, would I like some cheese with my whine?

You know you live in Washington when you live in a small town and when you try explain where you live, you eventually have to give up saying other larger towns around you and say "Oh, nevermind. Just NEAR Seattle."

Haha, it's true! When out of state people ask me, I say "an hour and a half north of Seattle." And then they say, "isn't Canada an hour and a half north of Seattle?" And I say, "No, it's TWO hours north of Seattle." :lol:

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Umbrellas are a pain in the - well you know. I always get wetter trying to let it up and down before I get in or out of the car than if I just get out and walk in the rain.
I love visiting the Seattle area. (LOL note I said area.) I acutally did not like Seattle that much but loved all the little surrounding towns. But not sure I would want to live there. But then being from Mississippi I sure would miss all this heat. :rolleyes:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
Dace- It's icky since at home, where I grew up, I'd go and sit on the porch on the swing, with the dog... Probably listen to the frogs for a while. After shutting in the chickens, of course. Now... Well if I went out back the neighbor's tiny rat-dogs would bark incessantly until the owner comes out to yell at them, and stare at me. If I go out front, every car's headlights will point at me. I know, I know, would I like some cheese with my whine?
I understand totally Henny!
Where I grew up curtains were optional! (In BOTH of my childhood homes) The way the house was positioned we had lots of privacy!

Where we are now we look at the side of a neighbors house in the backyard, the neighbor to the north is separated only by a small yard, if you are a good spitter you can totally hit the house to the south (only a single driveway between), cars and more people in front! :barnie

I have slowly hidden my house.

A grape arbor with porch type swing in the back yard. An huge old fashioned lilac to the north. Grapes cover the front porch trellis on the south (and opaque window stickers went on storm windows on this side as well. I get the sun but block the view). I actually sat on my porch swing and moved pots around until I got the best blockage and THEN planted my fruit trees! The two of them plus a front row of shrub roses block the front view of more houses. A cherry tree, shrub cherries and a row of peonies further block to the north.

Now when you go outside MY house in the summer you are shielded by a wall of often edible greenery and flowers! From the street you can see a garden and the shape of a house rising up behind it. Some privacy at last!

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh- It's so awesome that you've been able to hide your house! If I had to stay in my current one, it would be hard because of the split level behind my house. Their deck is perched over my yard, and they sit on it often. No hedge is tall enough, but they planted so extremely tall, invasive bamboo which doesn't block the deck at all! Anyway, when I move, how close the neighbors are is something to watch. The other day, I heard someone sneeze from my living room. :(

Well I finally had to get eggs. I wanted to wait for the neighbor's chickens, but the kids seemed down, and I have not heard the rooster since the first day. I think they had to give him away, and they're sad. So since I will be working BOTH of the Farmer's Market days, and it was too late in the day to drive out into the county where the local eggs are... I went to the co-op. Guess what?? They carry eggs from the exact farm I was going to drive to! And they were TOTALLY OUT. I even asked a clerk and he said nope, none today. There were other "local" eggs, but not nearly as local as these! These are from right in Everson, to the north of Bellingham about 30 minutes. ETA: The northeast of Bellingham. Straight north 30 minutes is Canada.

The eggs I ended up buying, after looking like a LOON staring at the eggs, come from Yelm, WA, which is about three hours away.

http://www.mistymeadowsfarm.com/Eggs/eggs.htm These are the eggs I wanted. Note: They feed soy-free feed!

http://www.stiebrsfarms.com/ I bought these, I hope I'm not sad. And yes, it is a big decision, 'cause I hate falling for those horrible "cage-free, organic, nest-layed" scams where the eggs taste exactly like eggs laid by battery hens.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I am glad you got some yummy eggs. Someday... I hope all you have to do is go outside and pick them up. :)

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks Farmfresh! It seems like such a small goal, to have chickens, but... Anyway, the eggs I had to buy are okay, but not great. The yolks are pretty pale.

At work everyone kept complaining about how it's now unseasonably cold. And then they'd look at me and be like "....Why are you smiling like that?" Because this is MY weather! I'm so happy to be sitting here, in a 68 degree house, with a light coat on.

I haven't been terribly self sufficient lately. I read Pride and Prejudice for the first time. I usually stay clear of romances, even classic ones. Especially one set in the 1800s. I suspected the heroine to be a swooning ninny, but I was proven wrong. Anyway, I had picked up the book from a used book store for like $1.00, so I decided it was past time to read it. I'm so surprised to like it, I usually hate these sort of things.

I think I want to make an apron, but the kind that goes over the shoulders not around the neck. I hate the kind that ends up pulling on your neck if you put anything in the pockets. I haven't sewn much lately. We have some pretty spiffy novelty cottons at work now. Hum. I also wish we had some nice soft cottons for skirts. We have some awesome batiks, but they're a whopping $10.99 per yard, and the kind of skirts I like take at least 2.5 yards. I like the tiered peasant skirts the best. But you have to have a decent fabric for them to hang properly, and most of ours isn't.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I'm not complaining about this weather...we earned it after the last few weeks of H E double hockey sticks. I have been outside all day getting so many projects done! :weee I'm happy!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I am happy with our weather right now too! Sunny and 92 today with some nice humidity.

Ahh - things are back to normal in the world! :D