Hen's kefir and kombucha thread-is it ready??

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Keep doing what you are doing...straining the grain out and starting a new batch daily. Adjust the amount of milk according to how much kefir you want to make, up to a quart.

Enjoy the kefir in shakes, with fruit like thin yogurt, or strained and used like sour cream in dips and dressings. Yum! And the whey can be used to start veggie ferments and in baking, when the recipe calls for things like buttermilk.
Hmmm, it really isn't very thick yet. Maybe not as ready as I thought?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I can have a batch come out quite watery, like slightly thickened milk, and the next day, the same grains in milk from the same goat makes a thicker kefir. Temp probably has a lot to do with it. You are supposed to gently agitate the jar several times a day, but I never think to. You still get the benefits of the good beasties. I don't try to strain a thin batch to make "sour cream."

Trust your nose!

woodwzrd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am with you Betta, I have tried store bought kefir and can't wait to start my own.

Free, that spindle and mushrooms should be there in the next couple of days. Let me know when you have some kefir grains to spare.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have some now, but Atlanta is the major hub from the east coast and they are likely to arrive dead if I send them now. I like to wait for a bit cooler weather....soon, though!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Yay!! I drank my first kefir this morning. It was much thicker when I strained it last night so I refrigerated that little bit and had it with frozen strawberries and stevia with my breakfast. And I liked it!!
I put the grains in a little more milk last night and remembered to mix them up a bit this morning before work. It definitely was not something I could have strained. Now that you mention it though the pantry where I've got them is a bit cooler than the rest of the kitchen so I may find another spot.
Tomorrow will be one week for Ms. Luna in the kombucha. I'll keep you posted!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I have a full jelly jar of kefir. DH thinks we're going to share it in the morning. :lol: Well, maybe....

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Time to get a bigger jar!
I need more quarts anyway. My mom is not getting more milk until she gives me back my jars!!