Herb gardens.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
those herbs sound great. I'm planting a cold and flu herb garden from the Storey's book like purple cone flower ( i cant even try to spell the e word for it, i can barely say it) yarrow, garlic, thyme, rosemary, mint, cayenne pepper. I am also planting sage, basil and oregano just because i like them.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You can also research medicinal herbs as well
Glad you brought that up. I grew feverfew for the first time 2 years ago. It did OK last year, but came back and went nuts this year. It is a VERY pretty plant. Looks like little daisies. This one is in full sun.

I really like dual purpose plants...ones that look great and are very useful.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
To me lemon thyme is the most wonderful herb in the world. I also use a lot of french tarragon but it is not a bee plant. But thyme for bees. Lemon verbena is great too.
Most mediterranian plants can take lots of sun but I think most important for the majority of herbs is good drainage.
Herb gardens have tended to be the most productive for me with the least work. They are relatively bug resistant because of all those wonderful oils in the leaves.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I love chamomile and hope it will spread for me soon. I'm tired of starting seeds every year.

I also really like borage . . . so do the bees! I hope mine will spread soon too.

For bees, mints and their relatives are some of the best plants, IMO. I think chocolate mint is a must-have . . . so is peppermint for me, but I'd also like to try pineapple mint again. I do NOT recommend grapefruit mint. :p

I also have a clump of lemongrass. It needs some protection to make it through winter here, though. I have brought it into the house before and I think it makes a nice houseplant. :)

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ideally most herbs want full sun, many will tolerate a bit of shade, very few prefer it. I absolutely adore the herbal/floral taste of our honey. We have hives here and at my mother's, the honey tastes the same, it's wonderful! Oregano, thyme, alliums, mints, all the herbs make wonderful bee plants.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Sounds wonderful, Reinbeau. :)

I seem to remember you said it is hard to make an income from raising bees though, right? I'm curious because I keep wanting to get into beekeeping, but I'm also looking for a way to generate some income from our land.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
firem3 said:
( i cant even try to spell the e word for it, i can barely say it)
Echinacea.

I'm obviously extremely biased, but I agree with the medicinal and dual purpose herbs.

I have (had), now that its basically winter here) quite a few varieties growing. Soon you'll have a huge collect to show off. :p

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I grow echinacea in my herb garden too, but I've never used it. I drink a tea that has echinacea in it when I feel sick. What part of the plant is used, Blackbird?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I grow sage, oregano (a couple of kinds), three kinds of mint (including lemon balm), thyme and lemon thyme, basil, rosemary, chives, and cilantro as the basics. In addition I have grown marjoram, cumin and a few others at different times.

If you grow the mints keep them in a space they can't escape from. I grow mine in the waste land between house and driveway where nothing else will grow.

Also a few big pots will grow enough annual herbs like basil to last for several years when dehydrated and then frozen to keep the freshness. You can rotate the pots every year growing some different things until you have a great selection for the kitchen.

I love rosemary, but be sure and grow it in a pot if you have cold winters. I bring mine in every fall.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This thread is awesome. :D

Thanks everyone for all the help!

*is taking plenty of notes*