Herb gardens.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I grow echinacea in my herb garden too, but I've never used it. I drink a tea that has echinacea in it when I feel sick. What part of the plant is used, Blackbird?
... What part are you using?

I suggest researching before a person just throws some plant matter in a tea, lol.

The seeds, flower, roots, and leaves of Echinacea can all be used, but the roots are the most effective part of the plant.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

This is a commercially made tea that I drink. I don't know what part is used . . . maybe it says on the ingredient list.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
DrakeMaiden said:
I grow echinacea in my herb garden too, but I've never used it. I drink a tea that has echinacea in it when I feel sick. What part of the plant is used, Blackbird?
... What part are you using?

I suggest researching before a person just throws some plant matter in a tea, lol.

The seeds, flower, roots, and leaves of Echinacea can all be used, but the roots are the most effective part of the plant.
LMAO!!

:lol:

On another note, I've been meaning to look up what part's of the plant to make tea out of peppermint. Celestial Seasonings has a peppermint tea, and I looked at the ingrediants, it just said "peppermint". LOL

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Sounds wonderful, Reinbeau. :)

I seem to remember you said it is hard to make an income from raising bees though, right? I'm curious because I keep wanting to get into beekeeping, but I'm also looking for a way to generate some income from our land.
It's tough to make money, really turn a profit, on beekeeping. You have to have over 30 hives really to make it work, and that's a lot of work! We've got a large investment in beekeeping supplies, probably too much, but you know some men, when they get involved in something they jump in with both feet! But he enjoys it so much I don't mind. We'd like to run about 10-12 hives total, two at Mom's, four here and four to six up in Maine. That's enough. I do sell the honey, we're getting $8.00 a pound, $5.00 for a half pound jar, and it sells, I shudder to think how much each bottle actually cost!! Christmas is a good time to sell the 8 oz. jars, people love to buy them as stocking stuffers. I'm saving up the cappings wax and will buy some candle molds soon. Rendering wax is a whole 'nother subject :)

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was talking to Dustin and he was saying if you have too much money, beekeeping is the hobby to make sure you're always broke! LOL

He showed us his brandnew electric extractor, believe he said something along the lines of $1200. :lol:

He also invested in a $1000 table saw, because he builds all his woodwork from scratch. :)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I bet you can make some pretty candles too, Reinbeau. :)

It seems like with most of these farm-related projects, there is a minimal number of animals you need to keep to turn a profit . . . more than I would want to keep.

Still . . . if you can make a little money to help pay for your hobby, that is always good. :)

Thanks for the information. :D Good luck with your hives! :)

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am excited about the bees.

The honey, the wax, and the pollen.

I look forward to the honey, soaps, lotions, and whatnot.

That is what the herb garden will help with. Both as a bee garden and as a place to collect frangrances for the products. Especially once I get our cow. :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I make tea from the leaves of my mint, my lemon balm, my sage and my BLACKBERRY bushes, which is my favorite! I just dry them and steep them. Yummy.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I make tea from the leaves of my mint, my lemon balm, my sage and my BLACKBERRY bushes, which is my favorite! I just dry them and steep them. Yummy.
*eyes their 8 blackberry bushes from the house*

That does sound very good. I'll have to try some!

We have a dehydrator, will that work?