Hi all from Eastern Wa.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm really not sure, since we've only been during the hottest part of summer. I do know that some areas that are closer to State & Federal lands can be alot greener, more often...maybe year round.
I've been to/thru some of the small towns east and farther west of hwy97 that have green rolling hills nearer to the Okanogan National Forest, but that was still during summer months.

Try a google search for that area to maybe get more accurate & detailed info. Best of luck :thumbsup

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
My sister lives up there, but on the Canadian side, Kewlona. Lovely area. The weather is much like what we have here in SW WA.

There isn't much employment there currently however.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SD...employment or lack of, is one of the reasons DH hasn't agreed to move there...yet :p

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I know two people who just moved to the Tri-cities in WA because employment was good.......

discoversimplicity

Power Conserver
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Personally, I'm not looking for employment. I signed up for an early retirement from my job (I work for the Fedederal Government). I've had enough! My DH took an early retirement last year due to some health problems he was having - he's ok, he just can't do all day, labor intensive work for 10 hour days plus the 2 hour commute! Children are all adults - only 1 left in our current residence because he is attending college nearby and works locally full time. So we're pretty much free birds! :weee

bynaturefarms, thanks for the realtor links! I love the John L Scott website, lets you narrow your search more than Realtor.com, and have sent a request for a showing from them. If anyone would like to see the MLS#s we'll be looking at let me know through PM. I've hijacked this board for long enough!!!

bynaturefarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
discoversimplicity said:
savingdogs said:
Personally, I'm not looking for employment. I signed up for an early retirement from my job (I work for the Fedederal Government). I've had enough! My DH took an early retirement last year due to some health problems he was having - he's ok, he just can't do all day, labor intensive work for 10 hour days plus the 2 hour commute! Children are all adults - only 1 left in our current residence because he is attending college nearby and works locally full time. So we're pretty much free birds! :weee

bynaturefarms, thanks for the realtor links! I love the John L Scott website, lets you narrow your search more than Realtor.com, and have sent a request for a showing from them. If anyone would like to see the MLS#s we'll be looking at let me know through PM. I've hijacked this board for long enough!!!
I wouldn't mind seeing what your looking at. Maybe I will learn something.

I will need a job or get some type of internet thing going. We have 4 kids all at home, youngest is 4 months, oldest is 14, so it will be some time before we are free. Our time frame to move is within a year but is centered around me getting a job.

With only 36 total post its not hijacked. :D

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
bynaturefarms said:
How green is Kitsap County?
Sorry I missed this until I reread thread but Kitsap County is VERY green as is most of the westside...as in about 300 days of rain each year (or atleast it seems that much :/ )

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Thank you oldfashioned, I should have answered that too. Kitsap is beautiful. Green is my favorite color and it isn't lacking in western washington and oregon.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SD, I love green also & probably why I'm stuck on the 'moldy' side of the mountains. :p

As for the Tricities....little to no green in sight. I'm not so sure if I really like that SE part of the state. I do like the wideopenness of it & being able to see for miles & miles & miles. Also, driving over there at night and all you can see is pitch black nothingness beyond your headlights and as you unknowingly come around a hill & see city lights in the midst of black is kinda eerily (sp?) otherworldly, to me anyway.
I did live in Kennewick when I as about 1 or 2 and the only memory I have of it is helping to milk a cow by hand and hurting my 'pinky' finger and that was probably as close as I've ever been to real farming. I also have some distant cousins living over there in that part of the state. Those are the better points I can think of.

Bad points being...Pasco for one. Was there for a family reunion & had someone smash a rock thru my driverside window, cracked the windshield and stole a bunch of camping gear from my car. I wasn't too happy about that, to lose the gear or driving 4+ hours back in the cold windy rain. grrrr :rant
AND that Pasco is (or was 25 years ago & the last time I spent any time there), a major crime/drug/gang area that is/was worse than Seattle or Tacoma Hilltop. Not my favorite place. It has probably changed alot since then and may have gotten better :hu
Besides 5 minutes out of either town is absolute NOTHINGNESS. So to me anyway, it's the other extreme from the wet, cold, semi friendly west.

I dunno, maybe others have a better opinion but that is my experience.