Hi from New Hampshire

NHMounttainman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Welcome. I raise turkeys and chickens. I like turkeys a lot better than chickens. Interested in learning about geo thermal heating.

Thank you for the welcome. Happy to discuss geothermal with you at any time.
Question on turkeys - we have have a ton of wild turkey in the area (and a very short and restricted hunting period) - will I have issues with wild turkey interfering with my turkey flock?

NHMounttainman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas. We have chickens for meat and eggs. We raise Cornish cross in the spring. We have a customer that buys 20, cut up and vacuum sealed. Then we have plenty for us and our daughters family too. We have 4 horses, 4 dogs and hair sheep. We garden, I can veggies and chicken.

I get where you are coming from. I never had cancer or any other illness. I don’t want any, either. Congratulations on being a survivor, sounds like you’ve been to hell and back. A healthy lifestyle is the way to go! What kinds of fish do you like? What kind are you looking to raise?

Welcome, glad to have you here. Sounds to me that you have a great start on becoming more SS!
When you say you raise CornishX - do you buy chicks or are you getting fertile eggs to raise? I've heard that the genetics that have developed to make them grow so meaty shortens their life and makes mating near impossible. I'm hoping to find a way to never have to buy a chick ever again. That's why I'll be testing rangers, cornishX and American bresse flocks to see if I can get them to self sustaining to feed us.

Thanks for the welcome. LOVE Texas. Headed to Austin in Feb!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hi, NH here also! Short answer, yes the wild turkeys are absolutely an issue with domestic turkeys. We had wild toms attack our tom and try to steal the ladies. when our friend took one of our last turkeys to his house to join his flock, she escaped and joined the wild flock. We've seen her on occasion. Thought she'd come back but she never did!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome. Happy to discuss geothermal with you at any time.
Question on turkeys - we have have a ton of wild turkey in the area (and a very short and restricted hunting period) - will I have issues with wild turkey interfering with my turkey flock?

Yes... I can not free range my turkeys because of the population of wild turkeys. I have them behind a fence covered with bird netting.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if you are "in the wild" and plan on doing any serious gardening i recommend a good 7-8ft fence. you will not keep raccoons out with this, but you will cut down on their traffic. the main thing it discourages are deer, groundhogs and rabbits. we don't grow corn so i don't mind the raccoons in the gardens they don't seem to damage much at all (i don't use commercial fertilizers or fish emulsions i only use worms and worm compost). the main pests here are the (DGR) and chipmunks (so i should just say CDGR?) but you need a much finer mesh up a ways to help deal with chipmunks as compared to the others. the mesh fence i use for just DGR is 2x4 inch welded wire fence that comes in 7ft rolls. i'd actually like a 10ft roll as then i could use it as one piece to lay it along the ground too to discourage anyone from trying to dig under it.

Latest posts