HI how to insulate a garage door

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Another with white on one side. Doesn't say the country of origin. For me, it must he made in the USA or you can keep it. I sent the seller a question asking for country of origin.
Made in Panama of all places.

Panama has a constitutional representative democratic system of government with three arms of government comprised of the executive, legislature, and judiciary.

Ok not bad, but I'll continue my search for made in the USA and see what my options might be.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That is a good solution. Cut strips the size of the panels and glue onto the frames.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is a good solution. Cut strips the size of the panels and glue onto the frames.

I was thinking about using double sided tape. My son works where they make all kinds of tape. If you want to know tape, he's like dictionary He told me VHB (Very High Bond) or UHB (Ultra High Bond) double sided tape would work well.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Can you build an insulated set of sliding doors inside that overhead door?
I could but I really want to keep the garage door. I mean I could bring some pretty big stuff to work on through the door if I need to. I told my wife it's a multi-purpose room. Meaning just that... let's say I need to tear down a piece of equipment one week, then have family dinner the next week. That's what I mean by multi-purpose. My wife and I and our dogs are in the cave more than we are in the house. The house is to sleep, eat and use the bathroom and do laundry and that's about it. Otherwise we are outside or in the cave. I realize you may find that strange and all but it's so nice to have a large building to do whatever we want in. We just kind of naturally gravitated here. My wife has a beautiful house that's completely remodeled, so there's really nothing left to do in there but sweep and mop the floors and dust when it needs it. I know she wants to change some of the paint because I seen her with paint chips. I reckon we'll most likely do that this winter or she may just do it herself if she wants to.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered a roll of 1/8"x4'x50' NASATech AD3 from eBay. Below are it's characteristics. But an R value of over 15 for something that's 1/8" thick is almost stupid ridiculous, +1 for NASA. I figured I could use the excess in my incubator that I would like to complete soon.

• EXTREMELY EFFECTIVE - Reflect 97% of radiant energy, perfect RADIANT BARRIER. R-value up to 15.62 (1 layer), up to 21.10 (2 layers) (building envelope)
  • Non-toxic, non-carcinogenic, fiber-free, safe to handle and does not require protective clothing or respirators to install. Easy to install and maintenance free, cuts easily with utility knife or scissors and installs easier than fiberglass. Simply staple, nail, glue or use a spray adhesive to hold in place! No mess, and no itchy fibers!
  • Waterproof, Not affected by moisture or humidity. Inhibits condensation and does not promote the growth of fungi, mold or mildew. Does not promote nesting of insects or rodents. Non-flammable, flame retardant
  • Saves energy by reducing the stress on heating and cooling systems, keeping your home warmer in the winter, and cooler in the summer. It can reduce utility bills substantially all year round. As well as provides benefits of soundproofing
  • Class 1 Class A Fire Rated / Made in USA / Ships from USA / Super Fast Shipping
  • AD3 (1/8 thick) 4ftwide x 50ft Long

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
eBay tip when ordering a new product off eBay (not an auction).

Look for the manufacturer part number. Then search on that part number. When the results come back, sort using filters for lowest price plus shipping. Now pick the lowest price from 3 or 4 different sellers and add them all to your cart. Sit back and wait until "Offers" come in from a few of the sellers. These Offers are often discounted by as much as 30%. Select the lowest priced offer by selecting buy now and BAM you just saved some money. Now remove the itkrms from your cart.

Offers usually take a minimum of 48 hours from the time you place the item in your cart. It just depends on how badly the seller wants to sell the item, I guess...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Perfect for my application, it's light as a feather, 1/8" thick insulation. Still amazed the stuff is rated at R15 for being 1/8" thick. If my garage door ends up looking like the inside of the space shuttle you know why. This is the same stuff they insulated the space shuttle with. Plus 1 for NASA. Along with ATA 400 double sided tape my son gave me. I'm just about ready to insulate the garage door.
IMG_20201113_105752322.jpg

IMG_20201113_105803295.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Let us know how it works.
Will do... I still need to get some E-cips to hold some of the bolts in the door. The way the garage door was made it's not meant to be insulated. It was made to allow light into the garage which it does very well. So well as a matter of fact there are no windows in this multi purpose room and we need no lights on during the day. All that is about to change. I might eventually put in some clear panels on the roof and box in some sky lights, maybe we'll see... However, I already have 3 vinyl sliders that I may or may not install, IDK yet.
IMG_20201113_115952746.jpg

Last edited: