Hi! Im new here!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
hwillm1977 said:
Aidenbaby said:
I second the motion for The Backyard Homestead. In fact, it's in front of me right now. I never would have thought about raising rabbits if it weren't for that book.
Yep... I would still be intimidated by making my own yogurt and mozzarella cheese if it weren't for that book... but instead I've got yogurt brewing in a thermos, and I'm grilling fresh mozzarella and tomatoes for lunch :)
Hey, maybe I need that book! YUM!!
Here's a recipe like the one in the book... it took me a couple tries to get right, but the stretchy, elastic mozzarella is perfect for marinating in oil and herbs and throwing on the grill :)

http://homecooking.about.com/od/cheeserecipes/r/bldairy22.htm

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I started with cabbage and made sauerkraut, then I moved on to garlic, carrots, beets, cucumbers (pickles...OMG!! I ate them all summer!), cauliflower...

Others have made fermented salsa (I'm trying that this summer) and even horseraddish and ketsup!

Oh, I also make sourdough.

I love Arkansas! :love You can line dry your clothes with weather like that. :)

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I started with cabbage and made sauerkraut, then I moved on to garlic, carrots, beets, cucumbers (pickles...OMG!! I ate them all summer!), cauliflower...

Others have made fermented salsa (I'm trying that this summer) and even horseraddish and ketsup!

Oh, I also make sourdough.

I love Arkansas! :love You can line dry your clothes with weather like that. :)
Oooo sauerkraut! I wouldn't be able to keep Zach out of it (he can eat a jar all by himself)! I have only learned to make bread within the last 3 weeks and I started canning about two weeks ago. I've had the chooks for 6 months. Im slowly working my way up. Today after work, I want to try to make some white bread to go with my apple jelly (all I've made is gump bread so far). Baby steps, so I don't I blow up and to get my family used to my new hobbies. They already think Im nuts, don't wanna make it worst! :D

Yes, Arkansas has some really pretty weather (except for summer). I was looking at clothes lines yesterday. Our dryer has this squeaky belt and it has annoyed me to no end. We have a couple of trees in the backyard...mabey if MIL would let me...hmmm :)

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's the same here in Colorado. The line will actually dry the clothes faster than any dryer I've seen. If I could just figure out how to get the clothes not quite so stiff, I'd be set.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
Aidenbaby said:
It's the same here in Colorado. The line will actually dry the clothes faster than any dryer I've seen. If I could just figure out how to get the clothes not quite so stiff, I'd be set.
My grandmother drys hers outside and them puts them in the dryer for a minute. Gets the stiffness out she says.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
urban dreamer said:
And Im probally the only 21 year old silly enough to waste my college years learning to bake and garden.
if only i had spent my college years doing all this, it might not have taken me a whole decade to figure out how i really wanted to live my life.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I got started young - it didn't work out, but heck - I'm still young.

My XDH and I bought a house when we were 18! I still have the house now - it's on the market.

It was on a piece of land about 4/5 of an acre, Right in the city and right on a creek. 1/5 of an acre wooded with mature trees - including black walnut trees. The property is sheltered by a HUGE hill on one side - any severe weather passed right over us. Sometime in the middle of a rain storm, our property would be dry.

The soil was old riverbed. It was patchy - sandy, rocky, clay in areas. But where my garden was - it was to die for. I grew tomatoes taller than me (approx 6 ft tall). I never fertilized and RARELY watered.

(It's for sale now - a perfect urban homestead location in a city in west-central WI. Only $50,000 :) )

So 7 years and a divorce later, I live with my SO on a FLAT ordinary suburban/rural lot. Lots of grass, and no possibility of chickens. At least I still can have my rabbits.

I learned a lot of skills, a lot of what NOT to do! I dropped out of college THREE times. I don't regret it.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
urban dreamer said:
Im still learning too! But Im young and have a whole life to live and a whole lot to learn!
i seriously think that is the most important skill/lesson if you want to go SS. the minute you stop trying to learn, you've failed.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
:welcome

I was like that in college too. Fortunately my family lived in the country and was into doing things for ourselves. And I was an artist with artist friends, everybody was a little whacky and it was not only accepted but also respected in my crowd. :lol:

Yes, you can plant your sprouted potatoes. You can plant them whole or cut them in smaller section, each with an eye or sprouted part. I let mine dry for a day or so after cutting and then plant them about 2 or three inches deep. As they grow I keep adding hay and leaves and dirt. Once the green tops dry out, the potatoes are ready to harvest.

You definitely should find out what those barrels were used for originally. Food is stored in different plastic than non food. Plastic items used for nonfood is made out of different material, they don't have to be as carefull what goes into it.
Never put anything that will be eaten in a plastic container that was not made to be used for food!

I used to work in the plastic industry (selling plastic bags) and that is where I learned that all plastics are not the same.

Plastic breathes and absorbs stuff. So if at any time a toxic product was stored in the plastic container, the plastic will have absorbed the toxin and will release it back into your food.

For books on the subject of doing things yourself, you might want to check the library. There are many books available. That way you won't have to go out and spend your hard earned money on buying books.
Once I find I cannot live without a certain book, I can still go out an buy it.