HI WIP How to install a wood stove

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Seems like I always have several Homestead Improvement projects going on at the same time. This one is installing a wood stove. There's never a lazy moment around here.

First make sure the wood stove is a decent one and that it's in good shape (no visible daylight showing through seams/corners, etc...). If so, then weld up them up. Also size does matter... You want one that will heat the area you intend to place it in. Remember... When in doubt double the stout! That's my motto anyways.

Now inspect the inside, all broken, mising, cracked fire brick will need to be replaced. I really you should inspect the fire brick, through out the heating season but at a maximum every year before heating season starts and replace the bad bricks.

As you can see I have a lot of brick to replace, more on that later.
IMG_20201109_122720560.jpg

IMG_20201015_203922009.jpg

Last edited:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I cannot agree with the "if in doubt, double the stout". My friend installed a huge woodstove into a little garage. He has to have a big enough fire to keep the chimney drawing right, but then he has to have 2 windows open to keep the room from being a sweat-box.
Size your woodstove the area you want to heat.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh my. A Fisher. IMO, the BEST stove ever designed. We had a Fisher when we built our house (Papa Bear) but, it was too big for the house, cooked us out! I loved the design of it. It would hold a fire all night, was great for cooking on. Just absolutely loved it. Looking back, I wish we'd put it in the basement, with a plenum over it. THEN, it would not have been too big, and would have heated the entire house.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love that stove, by the way. Never heard of a FISHER.

Dad installed a Franklin stove in the basement to help heat the house, then changed it out to a barrel stove. my bedroom was in the basement, it would be 90 degrees down there when I went to bed and 60 degrees or less when I woke up.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh my. A Fisher. IMO, the BEST stove ever designed. We had a Fisher when we built our house (Papa Bear) but, it was too big for the house, cooked us out! I loved the design of it. It would hold a fire all night, was great for cooking on. Just absolutely loved it. Looking back, I wish we'd put it in the basement, with a plenum over it. THEN, it would not have been too big, and would have heated the entire house.

I orginally thought this was a Papa bear after doing some research, it's a momma bear. It's a "newer" model because it has the heat shields installed and is approved for mobile home use. Fisher being one of the very few wood burner brands to achieve that level of approval.

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
mine is about 900 square feet, but I mainly worry about heating the living area and the office. I have big south windows on the back 2 bedrooms, and heaters in the aquariums.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My parlor stove doesn't have bricks, but it's old and it heats most of my house, with a little fan put behind it and a small one mounted to the corner of the hall to direct the heat back. View attachment 14921
There was a cute little one like that for sale in town. The lady said it never had a fire in it, she bought if for decoration.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Watching this thread with interest. Can't have a wood stove in this double wide, the living/dining area is too small, laid out wrong and too much "stuff". I'd put it in the corner of the so called dining area, but my grandmother's walnut wardrobe takes up the wall and no way I'm getting rid of that. My parents rescued it off her porch where it was weathered gray, rained on, etc. They had it redone and shelves put inside. I treasure it. There is another place in the living area, but too close to the TV and melted plastic would probably not operate well, making my husband sad. Sigh........ my next house will have wood heat.