HI WIP How to install a wood stove

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
22 degrees this morning, 72 degrees in the cave. Load the stove up with 2 of 3 good sized chunks of oak, for overnight burn. We placed a box fan set on low behind the wood stove. The fan works well for moving heat around the whole cave.

Yesterday afternoon it was in the mid 30's and I had one of the intakes open to much it got to be 80 degrees in here. To hot had to open the door 😂

I've had the wood stove running for about 4 days now. Very pleased with it. It is pretty touchy though. I currently have the pipe damper all the way open and just 4 notches on the intakes. I couldn't imagine running it wide open it would run us out of here.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
22 degrees this morning, 72 degrees in the cave. Load the stove up with 2 of 3 good sized chunks of oak, for overnight burn. We placed a box fan set on low behind the wood stove. The fan works well for moving heat around the whole cave.

Yesterday afternoon it was in the mid 30's and I had one of the intakes open to much it got to be 80 degrees in here. To hot had to open the door 😂

I've had the wood stove running for about 4 days now. Very pleased with it. It is pretty touchy though. I currently have the pipe damper all the way open and just 4 notches on the intakes. I couldn't imagine running it wide open it would run us out of here.

ya,, be careful iron can melt / crack

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ya,, be careful iron can melt / crack
Ole momma bear is an oldie but a goodie. She's made of 410 lbs of American iron 👍

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Supposed to get down to 22 tonight, so I just packed momma bear for an overnight burn. But after that it looks like ole momma bear may be getting a bit of a break, IF the weather guessors it's are correct. I haven't even filled up my ash can yet to sprinkle over the garden. But no sense in feeding the bear, when it's going to be above freezing.
Screenshot_20211208-220537.png

I really do like this fisher momma bear wood stove. It makes bright red charcoal pretty quick and does not use as much wood as I thought it would. It's somewhat deep at 24" to the very back, so stirring up the coal bed in the back requires a glove. If I could find a longer handle ash scoop that would be nice. But a glove will do for now.

I posted a link to where I seen a number of fisher wood stoves for sale. And also a link of a good overview of fisher wood stove models. Obviously they are all used since Fisher went out of business in the early 90s. But if you can find one in good condition and at a decent price, I highly recommend getting it. I'm very pleased with my wife's momma bear so far.

I can't believe I'm saying this... But I'm actually looking forward to a little cold weather. I really want to use ole momma bear to cook up a big pot of ham beans in a cast iron pot. I bet they will turn out great. It's kind of cool the way fisher designed the top, with two tiers you could actually use that to your advantage and have two different cooking temperatures and surfaces.

Anyways, this is one of the Homestead Improvement project that is well worth the time and money spent to complete. I know we'll see a decrease in our electric bill this winter. Because I totally shut the heat pump off, even the duct fan because ole momma bear with a box fan behind her, beats the fancy heat pump hands down, there's simply no contest.

This will be my last post on this thread unless someone has a question, that I might be able to try and answer.

Latest posts