High Costs of Funerals

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dh's brother died 10 yrs ago, suddenly, at the age of 25. Both of his parents are low-income, no savings and no way to pay for a funeral. We completely depleted our savings (over $10,000) to pay for his nice, but not extravagent funeral.

10 years later, I have instructed my family of these specifics:
*Cardboard box
*Cremation
*Scatter or grow a tree with my ashes

I'm sorry but I am dead. Please spend the money on the living...I don't need it where I'm going anyways ;) I know you love me, the more money you spend on my funeral does not prove that you love me. Treat me nicely when I'm living instead :D

My mother-in-law has began paying towards her plot and expenses. Having things prepaid is the easiest pay to go, things are already figured out and paid for. No one wants to make decisions at such a difficult time. Good Luck

Reaction score
I heard on NPR that a lot of people are not showing up at morgues to claim the remains of their relatives. A lot of people are being buried at state expense.

When my father died in 1988 , my mother spent around 12 k for a nice service . The casket was real nice and cost 6500, Dad was cremated so the casket was just for the display part. They said they burned the casket with the deceased but I always wondered if they didn't just switch out the silk and resell it. It just didn't make sense to do otherwise.

My DW has been instructed to go the cheapest route possible.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Augustmomx2 said:
I'm sorry but I am dead. Please spend the money on the living...I don't need it where I'm going anyways ;) I know you love me, the more money you spend on my funeral does not prove that you love me. Treat me nicely when I'm living instead :D
Exactly. I think there's so much guilt involved. How can I be a cheapskate when a family member dies? I must be a complete jerk, right? But, this is how I feel about when I die, too. What a waste of money to dump on a corpse. Save it for the living. Show your love now. Very well put, Augustmom!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am donating hubby to science. Seriously! He could keep some medical students busy for years...LOL

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I am donating hubby to science. Seriously! He could keep some medical students busy for years...LOL
Wouldn't that be funny if you could?!? As in, "This man is clearly insane. Please examine his brain for the reason." or whatever you want them to look for :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I too have instructed my children to cremate and scatter my ashes.....on the compost pile! :D We have since modified this plan to scattering my ashes on the banks/waters of our fave fishing hole.

I have even gone so far as to forbid them to seek medical help if they find me unconscious on the floor....just throw a blanket over me so they won't feel uncomfortable and let me just sleep away. No code, baby! :p

I'm ready to go...beam me up, Scotty! :D

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Funeral homes are just like any other business, with one exception. They never get any repeat business, so they have to make their profits on the first and last time they meet you. :lol:

My wife has explicit instructions on how to take care of me after I'm gone. First off, let them scrap out any parts that someone else can use, then burn what's left. Take my ashes and sprinkle some of them at Lake Erie, some at Pleasant Hill Lake, some at Mid-Ohio Race car Course, some at Norwalk Raceway Park, load some into shotgun shells and go trap shooting and hunting, and of course, sprinkle some around the property here.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
farmerlor- I know cremation would be cheaper but DH is a christian and believes in burial. I respect his choices.

dragonlaurel- that is my wish for myself. Centuries of Druids can't be all wrong. Being one with a clonal colony of oaks or beech.

Big Daddy- I considered leaving at the morgue for a brief instant but it isn't what he wants. When DH was awaiting his organ transplant he defined what wanted.

FarmerChick- We cannot buy a life insurance policy on DH because he is a transplant patient. That closed the door on many things, including loans.

2dream- We have his plot, bought at same time with his parents many years ago. They require a vault. Because we were residents the plots were only $50. Again, cremation for him is not an option.