High Costs of Funerals

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Don't they have those little policies that "no one can be turned down" for any medical reason? No questions asked.

You can get up to $50K without any medical questions ever?

I saw those on tv ads. Not sure if they are true though? Anyone know?

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Funeral homes do get repeat business. Families will return with the death of each member to the same funeral home if they received good care.

Walmart now sells coffins, I think you have to special order them
and if you go on line you can find coffins that have double use as bookshelves.

I burried my mom a couple of years ago. We had a small viewing and cremation, 2,600 dollars.,, so we did do the embalming thing before creamation so other family members who were far away could see her one last time. It was worth the cost for the healing and closuere it brought. Her ashes were placed in a $300 urn, (part of the above cost) next to her husband on a plot purchased 50 or more years ago.

If you want land for such funeral needs better purchase early, not late cause costs keep going up. Now there are regulations on where you spread ashes! has to do with mercury and other metals often found in bodies....sheesh...there is no end to it.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
it must be by location cause my dad passed in jan and his was 4900 including everything

cremation (his request)
the funeral hall that held over 500 people for 3 hours in a building that was just built so very nice place
3 hours of music and the funeral home created the disc for us we just wrote down the songs
all the little books for the guest
they made a collage poster board and a huge pic to sit at the front door
the cherry box for the ashes
and some flowers
his ashes were then put in Folly Beach (his request)

and whatever else we requested

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There was a tv program I saw years ago, that was about different cultures, and what they do with their dead. What made this show stand out in my mind was that they brought attention to a hospice type company that would not only help make you comfortable, but would assit you in planning for your funeral and things at home.

So when you pass - they prepare your body with ice or something, in your own bed, or wherever you choose, and your family and friends can pay their respects at your home.

I believe they assist in planning unconventional burials or cremations or whatever you choose - such as being buried on family land or do it yourself cremations.

Of course you would have to find the folks and pay for the services, and you may very well be able to do it all your self...

Hubby has specific directions to let whoever wants to see me, see me, and then bury me in the backyard.

I'm sorry for your loss. I always thought it shameful that these folks make a huge profit off of someones grief.

It's also important to "shop around". There have been three deaths in my family in the past year, three different funeral homes were used, one blew the other two out of the water as far as fair prices and great service - they were a family owned company.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sylvie said:
DH's father, a total sweetheart, passed away suddenly and the funeral was on Saturday.

I am stunned at the amount and completely freaking because I know DH only has a few years left. He was admitted into the hospital yesterday morning. They wanted him in there sooner but this with his dad took priority.

Has anyone had experience bringing down costs for a burial? DH is a Christian and insists on a burial so cremation is not an option. I know WalMart sells caskets but FIL's was close in price.
Sylvie, you and your DH have my sympathy :hugs. I lost my FIL at the end of October. He was a great guy.

DW and I plan to use a pine box for a casket. Here is a site that might give you some ideas. I'm told that a pine box casket can be ordered through the funeral home, but I have never checked it out. You can also find plans on the net in order to build your own.

http://www.theoldpinebox.com/index.html

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Ideally? What I would like is for my remains to be parted out to anyone who could use them and the rest to be utilized as food for another creature, or to be cremated and added to the compost pile.

Funeral homes are soooooooo guilty of capitalizing on survivor guilt/pride~ whatever you call it.

In my business I've seen quite a few very rich, very corrupt, very heartless funeral directors. :(

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Funeral homes are soooooooo guilty of capitalizing on survivor guilt/pride~ whatever you call it(
Talk about opportunistic, hey? I mean, who wants to look like a cheapskate for dear hubby, granny or child? Even if you know it is insane, that the coffin is buried, not on eternal display, etc., it's the perfect time for guilt to cause a person to upgrade the entire funeral process.

While I also wouldn't mind being added to the compost pile, I guess a lot about funerals have to do with ceremony that helps us honor the solemnity of the occasion. Plus, my husband is never that great about turning the pile, and the neighborhood skunk is always rooting around in it. That, plus the fact that it is in plain sight of my kids' rooms, might be a bit traumatic. ;)

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I want a plain, unvarnished pine box, no frills, no embalming. DH has been instructed to authorize organ donation of any & all usable organs, put me in the box, bury me in the backyard & plant a mulberry tree on top.
In Mississippi, private property can be used for burial with no restrictions as long as there are no city/county ordinances against it. Which there are none in my city & county.

Like 2dream mentioned, there have been too many instances of fraud, neglect, embezzlement & just plain dishonest behavior among funeral homes/crematories.

I have also instructed my friends that there should be no weeping at my wake, I don't want a funeral. I want all my friends to get together, eat, drink & be merry and remember the good times. If they would like, they can water the tree with some of their libations.

nop169

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Funeral costs in our area are usually at least 10,000 for the simplest service. However, my area still allows families to decide if they want to do a family burial. Routinely it envolves as much as the family doing it all or part of the service. You can have visitation & the body at the home. Family can wash, dress & refuse embolment. We have a "green" graveyard locally that only cardboard or other natural composites are used for caskets (they look the same as the expensive ones) but no vault is used & no formal marker is placed although tree plaques are popular.
A friends child died (congenital issue) at 18 mos old. The casket was made by a grandfather & the men of the family dug the grave in the local church yard. They still had formal visitation & the funeral home orchestrated but it cut their cost significantly. Here in my part of SC you can still get a permit to bury on your own land also.
Check with your local & state laws - often the funeral home will be happy to direct you or you can check with the local coroner's office.
I am sure some people will find this way to be too involved - but we have handled much of the service/body preperation with several of our family members. For us it was a healing time - for to share someone's life you must also share their death.
Lastly, my area still performs pauper burials if the family cannot afford to bury the deceased. The ones I know of were simple but just as solemn & respectful as private burials. I think that would be hard but it may be the only choice some have in these tough times.
Good luck in finding the appropriate route for you at a price you can afford. Praying that your husband survives in good heath for many more years!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
nop169 said:
Funeral costs in our area are usually at least 10,000 for the simplest service. However, my area still allows families to decide if they want to do a family burial. Routinely it envolves as much as the family doing it all or part of the service. You can have visitation & the body at the home. Family can wash, dress & refuse embolment. We have a "green" graveyard locally that only cardboard or other natural composites are used for caskets (they look the same as the expensive ones) but no vault is used & no formal marker is placed although tree plaques are popular.
A friends child died (congenital issue) at 18 mos old. The casket was made by a grandfather & the men of the family dug the grave in the local church yard. They still had formal visitation & the funeral home orchestrated but it cut their cost significantly. Here in my part of SC you can still get a permit to bury on your own land also.
Check with your local & state laws - often the funeral home will be happy to direct you or you can check with the local coroner's office.
I am sure some people will find this way to be too involved - but we have handled much of the service/body preperation with several of our family members. For us it was a healing time - for to share someone's life you must also share their death.
Lastly, my area still performs pauper burials if the family cannot afford to bury the deceased. The ones I know of were simple but just as solemn & respectful as private burials. I think that would be hard but it may be the only choice some have in these tough times.
Good luck in finding the appropriate route for you at a price you can afford. Praying that your husband survives in good heath for many more years!
:welcome

Thank you for this information. Our area hasn't progressed to green burials yet, but perhaps when the time comes there will be that option.
Thank you for your kind thoughts. I truly appreciate them.