Hogs for meat

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yep, that's my plan... My pen is far enough from the road that I don't think anyone will see. And my chickens free range even though that's restricted too. I give eggs and fresh vegetables to my closest neighbors. I do think winter will be better here for pigs, especially since my husband has been sick. But it's soooo hard to pass up free meat!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
then don't pass it up, go get free pigs! Question the people on how they have been fed (without letting them know that you are going to eat the pig) ask for a little of the feed because it can upset an animals digestive system to change feeds. Then you will know what the pig has been fed. Some people give their pet pigs dog food, you would definitely want that out of their system before slaughtering the pig!

I don't think a mini pig would make a huge stink, so go get them! I kept a pot belly pig in my back yard in the middle of town and she didn't stink.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
So if I go get a very large boar hog...will the meat be good for anything? He's about 4 years old and around 8-900 pounds. Intact..will the meat be "tainted" or not? I get mixed results asking that question...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I butchered an intact adult hog... a guinea hog. Absolutely NO taint. I've done some research and it appears that taint isn't as prevalent as some folks seem to think. I've also heard that if you're not quite so sure about it you could isolate the boar from sows for a few weeks before processing to let his hormones settle down. If it were me - I'd go for it!

Farmer Connie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is a loaded question to which you will not find a simple answer. Depends on what you're looking for in your meat and what's around you for breeds, and a whole bunch of other things. Do you care if they're heritage breeds?

I am personally pretty impressed with Duroc/Old Spot crosses. But I've heard Large Blacks are fantastic, and Berkshires are supposedly great. Just stay away from Yorkshires and mass produced hogs, they'll have low fat and not do well on the homestead.
goodpost.gif
:thumbsup

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am one who believes in boar taint. But, I also can taste the difference between a gilt and a barrow. We only raise females for meat now because I think the boys taste gamier.

The best info I've read on boar taint is from Sugar Mountain Farm in VT. He says some boars have it, some don't. It is more prevalent in some breeds, Duroc in particular. Some people can taste it, some can't as much. He tests for it and is breeding it out so he doesn't have to castrate anymore. I would link the info but my phone is lame.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
With that much practically free meat, you could spread the blessing around to friends and family.

30 days of soured corn would make a big difference. I bet he would make some yummy, fatty pork chops. We didn't have the fat trimmed off and the pork chops are marbled with fat. Best chops we have ever had.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

"Boar taint is the offensive odor or taste that can be evident during the cooking or eating of pork or pork products derived from non-castrated male pigs once they reach puberty."

Some breeds are more prone to it - some breeds are none to not have it - some people are more sensitive to it and some can't discern it at all...

I've butchered a boar and had no problem. But, I have American Guinea Hogs and they are one of the breeds that are known not to have it.

Pretty good article here: http://sugarmtnfarm.com/2007/08/12/hi-tech-vs-boar-taint/

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So after reading the article I came to three conclusions

1) taint is more prevasive in some breeds and even blood lines within those breeds. But seems to absent in other breeds / blood lines.

2) to reduce the risk of taint significantly. Isolate the boar to be slaughtered from sows for at least 30 days prior to butcher.

3) remove the nut sack immediately upon butcher.

Taint like most things in life, is not black and white, lots of shades of gray. That being said... Yep I agree - it's a trick question.

Thanks for the education ladies - much appreciated.

Did I miss any other major points?

Latest posts