Hogs for meat

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Have you ever shot a gamy old buck? You know, the kind with HUGE antlers, seen a lot of hunting seasons, but finally met the hunter that brought him down. The meat has a heavy odor. I have processed a few and made sausage. I kept a few cuts for steaks, but I seasoned it to Sunday and back before I fried it.

Those gamy old bucks would have "taint". I've eaten them and the taint didn't bother me or anybody else that ate it.

I have never processed a boar with taint, so I have no experience to draw on.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Have you ever shot a gamy old buck? You know, the kind with HUGE antlers, seen a lot of hunting seasons, but finally met the hunter that brought him down. The meat has a heavy odor. I have processed a few and made sausage. I kept a few cuts for steaks, but I seasoned it to Sunday and back before I fried it.

Those gamy old bucks would have "taint". I've eaten them and the taint didn't bother me or anybody else that ate it.

I have never processed a boar with taint, so I have no experience to draw on.

I always called that gamy and yes I know exactly what your talking about. So that's taint, ok got it now thanks.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes would prefer heritage breeds. Guess I have some studying to do... Good thing it's winter. Seems like I have like no time during the spring / summer / fall. I'm always running wide open.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our first pigs were Large Black/Berkshire crosses and the meat was very good. The second pigs were Red Wattle and their meat was very good also. The latest were grown hogs, mixed ??? :idunno We kept them 36 days, fed whole corn soured in goat milk whey. They were delicious!

I think the next time we raise hogs, the last month I will feed them soured corn.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Honestly I don't think it matters much. I've never heard a bad thing about any of the heritage breeds so just see what's around you. Try a few out over the next few seasons and see what your favorite is. The Old Spot is delicious but they tend to get overly fatty if you overfeed them, as they do have a higher proportion of fat in the first place (which is what makes them delicious).

Old Spot what's up with those funky ears? :Lol

Google image
006D73F400000258-0-image-m-10_1420671408863.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It doesn't take long to build a pig pen, depending on how fancy you make it, materials used etc… ;)

BUT, pig keeping in winter is not as smooth going and easy as in Spring when it's warmer and you don't have to struggle with frozen everything.