Holiday Present Fun!--Worst ever?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lets have a little fun.

What is that most awful present you have received from someone? The stupid present where you just shook your head and wondered why?????

LOL

I am sure there are some doozies out there!
:gig

And who gave it to you????

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have no electricity. And we live way out in the middle of nowhere. My mom gave me a cell phone once. I had no way to charge it up, and no service. I ended up giving it back. duh.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
When I was in college my mom gave me these mugs that said, "No coffee, no workee." I'm sorry, but I just did not appreciate the humor. :/ My then roomate still laughs about it occassionally.

Last year my husband received a book from The Onion called "Our Stupid World" or some-such. I just found it offensive.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I suppose that would be my Autie Bea's- but I couldn't tell you what was the worst present because we couldn't even tell what many of them were.
In a way, her packages were highly anticipated because they were so entertaining. They would be passed around and people would take guesses as to what something was. But of course, if they were really stumpers no one ever found out- you just couldn't ask her about it. :D They were frequently shiney and had moving parts but none ever had boxes or instructions.

PS though- I should say that our laughter was gentle- she put these gifts together with love and that was appreciated- at least we always assumed it was with love- maybe she was really pulling our chains.

PSS- if you asked my Mom I think it would have been the three pregnant hamsters my sister gave me on the same day my Father brought home three Beagle puppies. Of course the raising of same fell to my Mom.

I can't stop- my worse one was when my Mom gave me the 300 year old glass punch bowl that had been brought when some ancestor came to the US- she handed it to me saying "Here now it's your responsiblity. I've had it long enough."

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
my ole 80-ish granny gave me a chain..oh no not the tow chain i was needing a small piece of decorative chain you would hang a light or picture on and another year she gave me a pair of jogging type pants now mind you ive been the same size for maybe 18 years well she got me some size XXX tall. I could pull them up to my pecs and could fit both arms in them and hold them probably 8 inches off my body. They would have made a great summer sleeping bag.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay this happened to my friend-- So he was the new husband at the in-laws' family christmas. He opened his gift from grandma, only to find a lovely slinky white slip and camisole. Hopefully the little old lady over at the nursing home who got his intended package really needed some hunting socks.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
slinky white slip and camisole. Hopefully the little old lady over at the nursing home

****now that is some jumpin' nursing home..LOL

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Firem3, those pants sound just about my hubby's size. You don't still have them, do you? :lol: (I have paypal!) :lol:

I like to give practical gifts because I love to get practical gifts. My husband John likes to give frivolous gifts because that's what he loves to get. You can imagine the catastrophic give giving occassions we have had over the years. (So much so that we have basically resorted to buying christmas gifts for ourselves instead of each other.)

I'm pretty sure he hasn't grown up yet to the point where he wants a wife instead of a playmate. Right now he plays a lot of RockBand2. Over the summer he wanted me to play it with him (I'm the vocalist) and I begged off a lot of evenings because I was busy shelling peas or sewing or doing other stuff with my hands.

So, for my birthday back in July, guess what he got me...

A microphone stand. A nice one!

Yep. So I wouldn't have an excuse not to play with him.

(Funnily enough, it's gotten a lot of use.)

Cassandra

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
When I answered this over on BYC it took me a while to remember some of them.
The two that come to mind first were not Christmas presents but wedding presents.
One was from friends of my husband's sister., the one his mother had hoped he would marry. She and her husband brought us back an alpaca skin from their honeymoon in South America. It was huge and we had no where to put it in our little house.
The other was a tea kettle from a college friend. It was actually very pretty. What wasn't so nice was the card inside that said "Dear LoriAnn, Happy Bridal Shower from Cousin Mary" Um, my name isn't LoriAnn and I don't have a cousin Mary. If you're going to regift, take the card out of the box for crying outloud!

Latest posts