Holiday Present Fun!--Worst ever?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
When I was 8 years old I received a big fat chunk of coal.

I still have it somewhere.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
All of my WORST Christmas gifts came from my mother after I was grown. Apparently she always wanted me to have just what she wanted. I hate usless junky dust catchers. She loves them. I have about 30 boxes of what nots stored away. I always had to leave them sitting out to keep from hurting her feelings for a few months. Then I just boxed them up. And to top it all off she was never satisfied with one small junky thing - I would always get two or three small junky things and one major big one. No use items. Just things she thought were pretty and that I needed in my house. I have multiple ceramic items that she made herself. Cermaics she had made for me, store bought, lions, tigers, bears, framed prints of every imaginable thing in the world, Vases large and small and every color, so many candy dishes I can't count them, 10 million picture frames, etc, etc, etc.
But on the bright side, she usually threw in something useful somewhere along the line with all the junk - something that I acutally needed or wanted.

Why don't I give that stuff away you ask? Well to this day (she is 88) she will occasionally ask me where something she gave me is. Apparently she remembers it all. I always say, I still have it Momma, I just put it up so it won't get broke, I am saving it. So far she is happy with that answer.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
2dream said:
Why don't I give that stuff away you ask? Well to this day (she is 88) she will occasionally ask me where something she gave me is. Apparently she remembers it all. I always say, I still have it Momma, I just put it up so it won't get broke, I am saving it. So far she is happy with that answer.
Priceless. :D

Now see, when people give me stuff like that I keep it out of guilt, but I never display it and I never feel guilty about not having it out for them to see when they visit.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My ex was horrible about asking me what I wanted & then getting what he liked better than my request. I asked for a wooden coat tree & got a white enamled one. I asked for large glass storage jars & got a little set(he liked the flower design on them).

My dmil was good at making gag gifts & I have saved this one & will forever. She took a pair of pink leopard fuzzy slippers(feet kind) & glued the fuzzy chenile pipes on them in different colors & twisted & bent them into angles & shapes. There was a poem attached to the box that something to the effect of "insects have antenae, cats have whiskers, maybe these will help you get around in the dark better". You see I kept banging my bum foot into the bed post when I got up in the dark & she was trying to help me feel better about it. Sad thing was I was with her when she bought all the supplies to make them!! :barnie I had no clue what she was buying it for.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL HM
that is the icing on the cake when the present is kinda bought in front of you and you don't know it..LOL

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
She was always wierd items in the craft department so I really never questioned her before that. That was the last Christmas before she crashed again & was able to do something for us. She also made us a quilt that she pruposely did not finsih so she could teach me how to do the quilting part & we never got to do it. So now I need to find someone who knows how to quilt to teach me how & finsih the quilt so we can hang it up. It is a lap quilt & she used soem fabric stars her grandmother had sewn together.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh yes you definitely need to finish that quilt.
quilting is unreal. I don't know how people do it...I sure don't have the patience.

Martha (rachel's friend) about 80 or so....she just finished a quilt for Nicole...purple/pink/light blue...WOW unreal pretty......the time it took??? my goodness

keepsake forever. So yes, that is something you need to complete....NOW GO find that quilting lesson somewhere..HA HA HA