Home made laundry soap

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
This is a link to order ingredients to make your own laundry detergent. It also has different recipes for laundry soap. Some people can buy these products in their area but some areas don't carry it. Mine does not carry these in any stores around here so I have to order the ingredients. Its only 0.3 cents a load. I order the kit which will do 640 loads of laundry. That would normally cost me a minimum of $300.00 if I buy the cheapest detergent available here.

http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/Laundry_Kit_p/pkg1002.htm

mirime

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread, Natalie! I also make 'roll my own' laundry detergent!

Also a helpful tip is that the Sodium Carbonate is also easily bought during the summer as it's the same thing as "Ph Increaser" that folks add to their swimming pools! WalMart has it.

And for the borax you can use 20 Mule Team (like she states in the link below), usually available at grocery stores.

THis is the recipe I use:

http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm

Hope this helps!

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Hi Mirime,
thanks for the ph tip.:) You and I use exactly the same recipe but I have been using it in dry form. I mix the dry together and use only 2 tablespoons per load.
I have been considering trying to do the liquid but this is easier and stores easier.
Don't you love how this works so well and is sooooo inexpensive!
I buy the borax 20 mule, the arm&hammer soapflakes and the Fels Naphtha in a package deal for $19.95 and it makes 20 gallons of detergent.
I went to every store in my area and would you believe no one carries any of that stuff. I hate to pay for shipping:/ but I am still saving tons of money. I know you can substitue ivory snow for the fels naptha, but i wasn't sure about the other two soap starters. I guess though its only shipping once a year since I buy enough to last me that long.

mirime

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Youre welcome! :) I think I'm going to try the dry recipe...sometimes, because the liquid gels so much, I get a huge "glub" and it's too much for the load I'm washing. My son loves the recipe, too - esp when I'm cooking up a batch of the wet version because it makes the house smell so good!

I guess I'm just surprised that you don't have fels naptha in any store - here, we have it in the Drug Mart, the local grocery store, etc. Though it's usually in the body soap isle not the laundry soap stuff.

That deal you linked to is great!! If I didn't have the ingredients available, I would DEFINITELY use that place!

:)

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Y'all don't use the Purex color safe bleach? I put some in mine (equal parts of.) I wonder if it works as well without it. I may try it next time.

Cassandra

EweSheep

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have a very hard time finding washing soda at Wally World...is there any other stores I can try? Or a nice subsitute for washing soda?

mirime

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ewesheep: for washing soda, use 'Ph Increaser" in the swimming pool aisle - it's the same thing (sodium carbonate)

yotetrapper

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ewesheep, do you have a HyVee near you? My one here in Burlington IA carries all three ingredients in their laundry aisle.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Roll Your Own?? Sounds like our admin. may have a little "garden in the backyard"? :p :rolleyes: :lol:

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Roll Your Own?? Sounds like our admin. may have a little "garden in the backyard"? :p :rolleyes: :lol:
I thought the same yhing! :lol:
My mom was looking at this and she thought I was on a "bad" site.