Home made laundry soap

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I agree with miss_thenorth. We haven't used hot water or even warm water for laundry since the 1980's. Pretreating stains with a bit of hydrogen peroxide or laundry soap helps with stains, as hanging the clothes in the sun helps with whitening.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Never use hot water to wash either. I might start a load on warm to help the soap dissolve but I switch over to cold after a few minutes.

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I HATE reading threads on making your own laundry soap!

DH bought me a new w/d combo when we moved in our new house three yrs. ago. They are front loading HE machines, the store gave me a coupon booklet for a years worth of Tide HE. I have been using the coupons all this time. I have half an open box, 12 unopened boxes in the closet, DH is getting another box today, and I STILL have more coupons to use!:he

It takes me about a month or month and a half to go through a box, so I won't be able to try my OWN laundry soap for AGES!!!!

I just opened my last box of dishwasher soap though, so I will be able to start using my own next month, and I always have those ingredients on hand, as I use them for most of my cleaning already.

I will also make some fabric sofetener, I don't have any essential oils right now but will get some when I go to the city next month.

I can't wait to use up my soap, I find myself trying to make as much laundry as I can so I can get rid of it.

Happy Laundrying:rant

Monica

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I also hate laundry.When my children were in second grade, I taught them how to do their own. :D I still did towels, sheets, blankets. I went from doing three to four loads every day to one to two loads every other day! It also stopped "Mom, when are you doing laundry? I wanted to wear___ tomorrow. I do the same with DGD. Now with just the three of us, I do a total of three-six load a week, DGD does two.

Monica

What are felt covered wool balls and where do you get them? Our house is very staticky. DH and DGD are shocking themselves everytime they touch anything. I only get shocked when I touch one of them.

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
does this work well on work clothes? My son often smells of diesel and grease and even the Arm and Hammer Essentials laundry detergent I bought because it was natural doesnt get the smell out.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
does this work well on work clothes? My son often smells of diesel and grease and even the Arm and Hammer Essentials laundry detergent I bought because it was natural doesnt get the smell out.
It does a great job...but if it doesn't, there is another thread about using a can of Coke for a degreaser....says it makes work clothing sparkle!