Home made laundry soap

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made my first batch this afternoon and have my 2nd load in the dryer. So far so good. I haven't tried anything really dirty yet - hope this works as good as everyone has said.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Tutter said:
I'm from the "green triangle", and couldn't overlook the name when I saw it. :p

I don't use laundry soap in my laundry anymore. About 4 years ago I started using Oxi-Clean. That's it. It's cleans cloth well, and removes odors. And though not cheap, when you consider how little is used, a tub is very reasonably priced.

Don't soak clothes in it forever, and it's otherwise fine. It's the only "bought and pre-made" cleaner I use. It's great for washing walls, removing odors from floors, spot removing things from cloth like bedspreads or curtains etc.

Of course, it could react with your material, always best to test a spot if there's any question. :)
Tutter, I use it in my white crock pot to remove stains. Just a little, fill with water and put it on high. Sparkles with no elbow grease.

Tutter, how does the Oxy-Clean (Family Dollar has the generic, but is exactly the same ingredient) affect septic systems?

Tutter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yes, it does work well for things like that! :)

We've not had a bit of trouble with our septic system from using it, and it's been years now.

While it's probably the same ingredients, I can't promise the safety to the septic system with a generic, because one thing generics are known for, is using different proportions of some ingredients. That, and different sources, *could* cause an unforeseen problem.

I'll bet you'd not have a bit of trouble, but I'd hate not to have mentioned the possibility.

Another thing dh came up with, is Tupperware. We have a Tupperware container that fits a 2 1/2 lb. block of cheese exactly, but after a while it can take on an odor which is hard to get out. If you use Oxy in it, it is gone beautifully! :)

Rosalind

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Anyone ever made this laundry soap recipe using half the water? That is, you don't add nearly so much water at the end for a total volume of 1 gallon? Then only use 1/4 c. for each load? I'd imagine it would be somewhat goopier, but would it make a solid chunk or anything?

I don't have a 2 gallon container, or even two one-gallon containers to spare. They mostly get used as garden cloches or chicken waterers around here. I have a one gallon container to spare.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Anyone ever made this laundry soap recipe using half the water? That is, you don't add nearly so much water at the end for a total volume of 1 gallon? Then only use 1/4 c. for each load? I'd imagine it would be somewhat goopier, but would it make a solid chunk or anything?

I don't have a 2 gallon container, or even two one-gallon containers to spare. They mostly get used as garden cloches or chicken waterers around here. I have a one gallon container to spare.
I used less water the first time I made it, and put it in an old detergent bottle. It was very gloopy--it didn't come out that of the bottle very well. So I added water. If you put it in a bucket and just scoop out the amount you use, it would probably work.

It DID thin out in the wash though, but I like the convenience of the old bottle, so I will add the appropriate amount of water. :)

Rosalind

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hmm. So you're saying if I happened to put it in 4 quart-size canning jars to gel, the wide mouth kind, with a little scoop, that might be a better choice than, say, a one gallon laundry soap container.

Think I've got some scrap fabric, I could make oh-so-cute lids for the quart jars too.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Hmm. So you're saying if I happened to put it in 4 quart-size canning jars to gel, the wide mouth kind, with a little scoop, that might be a better choice than, say, a one gallon laundry soap container.

Think I've got some scrap fabric, I could make oh-so-cute lids for the quart jars too.
I would probably go with a bucket-type container.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I make it in the powder form. I use to buy liquid detergent and wasn't sure how I would like the powder but I think its great. Its much easier to make, just toss it together and use a measuring spoon, its only 2 tablespoons per wash. It also stores much easier, you don't need a bottle. I have mine in a tupperware container.
I posted a link when I started this thread to a company and it has 3 recipes for this, one is the dry form.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Can you use Octagon soap instead of the Fels Naptha? We have Octagon soap locally. I had to order the fels online.

When I was a little kid, my aunt Diane used to carry octagon soap around with her everywhere. My grandma called it brown soap, but aunt Diane used it for her FACE! I thought it was face soap until I read the paper on it the other day when I saw it in the grocery store!! :eek:

Also wanted to add a little tip that may help someone. After I grated the fels naptha soap and mixed it in with the powdered stuff, I got worried that the soap peels were too big. They were.. you know, big curls of soap that I had grated by hand. Well, I ended up putting the detergent--soap, powder and all--in my magic bullet blender. I blended about a cup at a time for a few seconds and it grated up the soap really nice! It came out to a nice granular consistency. I think if I had put the fels in the blender by itself, it would have gotten all gunky. But with the powder it was perfect.

Cassandra

Latest posts