Home made yogurt...

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I tried Ms P directions while I was at home, and it turned out to be a goopy mess. The yogurt maker is just much easier for my current living situation. I think I might try making different flavors... just not sure how. If you wanted strawberry, would you add it before during after??

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I always add my flavourings afterward. Everyone eats it different, and that way I don't compromise my starter for the next batch.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My book says to add the flavoring after. I tried the corn bread this evening, it was great. I under cooked it a tad. but it still had great flavor and texture.

Helena

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I use a Salton yoghurt maker which I bought at a church thrift shop.

It works very well. I put a teaspoon of yoghurt in the bottom of each glass cup, and pour the scalded-and-cooled milk in the cups, stirring as I pour. I use organic milk, and sometimes add a bit of cream. When I can get it, I use grass-fed, raw milk. I mostly eat it plain, but will sometimes add apple or cherry butter to the yoghurt when I eat it.

I agree about keeping the starters pure. I also make sure the starter is room temperature when I make the yoghurt.

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
In case anyone is wondering, here's Miss Prissy's recipe from BYC. I make it pretty much every weekend and it always comes out perfect. I think the most important thing is that you have a good accurate candy thermometer. If you like your yogurt flavored I suggest a little maple syrup and vanilla extract, yum!

First you need a good starter of plain yogurt culture. You can buy it dried but the best way is to buy a container of good yogurt that you like to eat. Plain yogurt. Nothing with fruit or other flavors in it. I use Stonyfeild Farms Organic plain yogurt. It has 6 different types of active yogurt cultures in it.

If you want a thick yogurt you will need a small box of powdered milk.

Cow milk or goat milk will make good yogurt.

Using quart sized mason jars - Sterilize the jars and lids.

1 quart of milk mixed with 1/3 cup powdered milk.

Using a candy thermometer heat the milk slowly to 185 degrees.

Remove from heat.

Allow to cool naturally(or set pot in a ice water bath and carefully watch the temp -it will drop fast while stirring) to 110 degrees.

Stir in 2 heaping tbsp of your plain yogurt. Mix well until all is dissolved.

Pour the mixture in your quart sized jar. Wrap in a dishtowel to insulate.

Using a second jar, fill it with boiling water. Wrap it in a dish towel to insulate.

Place both jars in a small cooler that you have heated with hot water****. Allow the yogurt to cure for 10 - 12 hours. When the milk is set to a solid it is ready. Refrigerate and serve cold.

If you do this in the morning you will have fresh yogurt for the following morning.

****Do not leave water in the cooler. Fill the cool with hot water while you are preparing everything then pour it out. You simply want a warm place to incubate your yogurt cultures.

candyd

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
This is the way I make my yogurt, and my family loves it. My Grandchildren eat the whole jar when they are here :) The only thing I did not do is add a second jar with the water, which I did today. A good idea!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Zenbirder said:
Yum Yogurt!
I use a small ice chest to incubate the yogurt, and mine is made from homemade soy milk. No cow to feed, just a pail of beans in the pantry!
Zenbirder, can this yogurt be done with rice milk?

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
sylvie said:
Zenbirder said:
Yum Yogurt!
I use a small ice chest to incubate the yogurt, and mine is made from homemade soy milk. No cow to feed, just a pail of beans in the pantry!
Zenbirder, can this yogurt be done with rice milk?
Sylvie,
I did a quick online search, and people are saying rice milk doesn't work well. I can not believe how much we are enjoying the soy yogurt. I always make a double batch of soy milk now, and half goes to incubate as yogurt.
I am finding I use a lot more yogurt in cooking, now that it is almost free of cost (about 30 to 40 cents per half gallon!). This soy milk making machine has cut our food budget impressively.
I use soy yogurt to leaven pancakes, cornbread, and muffins. I put it on fruit and cereal. I grab a jar to take with me for energy if I have to unexpectedly rush out and go to town, so I don't need to buy anything to eat out. My yogurt is a bit more like a super thick drink than a solid.

DH's favorite: Yogurt banana nog
Soy yogurt, over-ripe bananas, one fresh raw egg, agave syrup, fresh ground nutmeg. Blend in blender and enjoy!

DH's other favorite: leftover cornbread crumbled in a bowl, drizzle with agave syrup or honey, and top with soy yogurt. It looks nasty and tastes heavenly.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Zenbirder, After reading your post I mixed 1/2 rice milk with 1/2 cow milk and added a probiotic capsule and some yogurt. It turned out quite well. I guess I just need to experiment. I got twice the yogurt from 1/2 the milk by adding the rice milk.

I am allergic to soy.